Notices

skegs cut off

Old 12-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts
Default skegs cut off

why on the old race boats were these cut off, would that affect the speed
Attached Thumbnails skegs cut off-spirit0017a.jpg   skegs cut off-600_ajachawk%5B1%5D.jpg   skegs cut off-600_americaneagleair%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: skegs cut off

I was the one who started running with no skegs. First race was with Magoon in Calif. Kiek. came up with the idea how to fool everyone into thinking we had skegs when the boat was on the trailer. We did a real fine cut at the bullet where the skeg is, then we put two small dowels to hold it together, a little glue and some black paint, the we drilled two small holes and put monofilament fish line and ran the line up the transom. Before the race we would take a special hammer we made with a long handle and knock the skegs off and bring them in the boat before the race, with no one watching. It was good for two to three miles per hour, You would not know the difference with or without, was all in the head. As the pictures came out of the boats flying people figured it out, as we were always faster than the rest, ( racers edge ) eventually Kiek. cast his own lowers with no skegs, and actually the bullets were bigger to accomodate bigger gear sets, I often wonder how they would work on today`s stuff surfacing?????????? No guts no glory!!!!!! 7XCHAMP
Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I was the one who started running with no skegs. First race was with Magoon in Calif. Kiek. came up with the idea how to fool everyone into thinking we had skegs when the boat was on the trailer. We did a real fine cut at the bullet where the skeg is, then we put two small dowels to hold it together, a little glue and some black paint, the we drilled two small holes and put monofilament fish line and ran the line up the transom. Before the race we would take a special hammer we made with a long handle and knock the skegs off and bring them in the boat before the race, with no one watching. It was good for two to three miles per hour, You would not know the difference with or without, was all in the head. As the pictures came out of the boats flying people figured it out, as we were always faster than the rest, ( racers edge ) eventually Kiek. cast his own lowers with no skegs, and actually the bullets were bigger to accomodate bigger gear sets, I often wonder how they would work on today`s stuff surfacing?????????? No guts no glory!!!!!! 7XCHAMP
That is very interesting 7X!!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2-3 mph!!!........where's my Sawzall.....?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

my dad told me on his old bertram....aka swap shop it gained 2mph but i didnt believe him.............It is a honor to have you anwser one of my posts, always a great read thanks...........mike
Old 12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How much due you recomend removing 7x..........My old man told me that anything will help just stay 3-4 inches down from bullet tip centerline...............When i brought this up he went on and on how he saw the race boats duing it........"If they due it there has to be a reason, after all if it wasnt for them we as pleasure boaters would not know what to due" I cant get him going on the boat thing much anymore but when i due sit down and grab a cup of coffee you are going to be there a while................a little dusty been under the bench for a little while
Attached Thumbnails skegs cut off-magnum-102.jpg   skegs cut off-magnum-103.jpg  

Last edited by nocigarette; 12-28-2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldnt think it would turn very good.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

hey rob how are ya,,,,,,,this is something i am kicking around...Thius mag of mine has been a real test dummie for me, i plan on geting a 3a or going with a whole new setup next year so i dont mind hacking this one up...Any insight will help from you guys .................have a good new year
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
How much due you recomend removing 7x..........My old man told me that anything will help just stay 3-4 inches down from bullet tip centerline...............When i brought this up he went on and on how he saw the race boats duing it........"If they due it there has to be a reason, after all if it wasnt for them we as pleasure boaters would not know what to due" I cant get him going on the boat thing much anymore but when i due sit down and grab a cup of coffee you are going to be there a while................a little dusty been under the bench for a little while
When we first did it we left approx. 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the bullet, then blended it with a grinder, the reason for leaving some meat is so the case doesn`t distort. Remember when we did this we were not running extreme high X-dimensions as todays boats do with surface type applications. Also remember I said it was all in the head as to feel etc. Turning, trimming, rough water running etc. all the same with and without, never realized a difference other than more speed, never ran the boat any different, it was actually easier on the drives, gimbles etc. because it didn`t load them as much. Towards the end of the Aeromarine days every drive manufactured by Kiek. was non skeg. Have fun. 7XCHAMP
Old 12-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

When we first did it we left approx. 1/2 to 3/4 inch below the bullet, then blended it with a grinder, the reason for leaving some meat is so the case doesn`t distort. Remember when we did this we were not running extreme high X-dimensions as todays boats do with surface type applications. Also remember I said it was all in the head as to feel etc. Turning, trimming, rough water running etc. all the same with and without, never realized a difference other than more speed, never ran the boat any different, it was actually easier on the drives, gimbles etc. because it didn`t load them as much. Towards the end of the Aeromarine days every drive manufactured by Kiek. was non skeg. Have fun. 7XCHAMP
thanks a million, i feel guilty not paying for the things i have learned here....The boat is a old mag sport , still has the original drive height that it was raced with.......i was looking at the skeg and it has a slight tweak to it, like it had landed hard to one side and bent it, i thought this would be a quick fix.......2nd pic shows i am pretty deep in comparison to the bottom of the v.........i dont want to mess with it untill i have a better bigger drive, i am pushing the limitis of it as it is ...........thanks again7x
Attached Thumbnails skegs cut off-magnum-005.jpg   skegs cut off-magnum-086.jpg  

Last edited by nocigarette; 12-28-2006 at 08:46 AM. Reason: ttt

Quick Reply: skegs cut off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.