Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Activator
Rage 30 svl pictures >

Rage 30 svl pictures

Notices

Rage 30 svl pictures

Old 01-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

In 2011 SBI it was opened up on the merc 525 motor. We were allowed to run any computer parameters we wanted too. Most teams just came with there stock motors with hot ECM units. That could give you a extra 15-25 HP. There was also rules allowing your own rebuilds with a max compression and cubic inch that was higher than the stock Merc. If you had the money you could buy a new merc. 525 and send it to the machine shop and max out all the specs. There was no internal or head inspections done on any of the teams. There was a compression and cubic inch test done. There was a team that was able to max out the rules and beat the rest of the class hands down. Most teams that are now running the maxed out motors are at the 650 HP plus range. If you are not running the 98-100 MPH range in SVL then you will just be a back marker. If its big water then set up and talent will help but HP is still king. If your boat has a better eff. hull then maybe less HP will work. I hope I have helped with your question and don't sound like Im anti SBI. I just want you to be prepared if you go there.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, you answered the question and it makes sense. I'm not going to be racing the Rage SVL. It's not mine. I just know the guys as they just finished the first 30' Rage outboard for my Dad. When the guys get the SVL on the course it will be competitive no matter what organization they run in...they know what they're doing.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
Thanks, you answered the question and it makes sense. I'm not going to be racing the Rage SVL. It's not mine. I just know the guys as they just finished the first 30' Rage outboard for my Dad. When the guys get the SVL on the course it will be competitive no matter what organization they run in...they know what they're doing.
I agree. I have raced against Mark in the past and he is a wealth of info and very good on the throttle.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad,

If it helps you out the original Activator SVL is running low 90's with my TnT rebuilt Mercury 525 with Mercury seals. I have a little left in the stick but she really starts mishandling at that point... Before I go too crazy on the bottom work, i hope to test with a throttleman sooner than later and maybe i can drive through it being able to focus on the wheel instead of both. As Randy said, Mark knows his stuff and whatever my boat is lacking he corrected on the new Rage.. Continued success to the new team no matter where they race
Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

just to set the record straight. the 27 activator handled great until Mr Haney put the pad and moved the aft strakes closer to the chine, thus making it faster but ill handling.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my experience in the 27 svl was limited. but i have found that it ran really well up to around 89. once we got over 90 in relatively flat water, she began to chine walk quite a bit. then bow steer then roll.
end of story. We rolled going into a turn so...there goes that theory. But Randy will tell you what happens in a straight away at 90 plus in dead flat water. It ends up even worse when your not strapped in or wearing helmets
Old 01-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been my experience in one of Marks boats with the WRONG prop on the boat it will bow steer like crazy and handle like crap. Not my boat but one of my best friends. Just had to borrow my prop. Put it on we took the boat out I kept telling him not to run it hard cause it was too loose (I've spent a bunch of time running the boat) later that day the boat rolled. Thank God nobody was hurt. My personal opinion of them is they are the best rough water boat out there. Ride like crap under 80 then they smooth out and runs even better around 100. With the right prop on the boat a 90 mph turn with the steering locked out is no big deal. The boats don't like flat water and the bigger the chop the smother it rides. When they are constantly going airborne they handle the best. I know to some it sounds bizarre but it's the truth.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ive personaly had 3 27 activators. one i raced in. and two were my personal boats as well as i had a 22 activator. I've been upwards of close to 100mph in the 27's. they handle great in any water. the rougher the better. if you touch the bottom and the boat runs different then thats nothing but your own fault. i couldn't be more pleased with the way my activators ran. I've run in some pretty rough stuff here in the sound and elsewhere. people were amazed at how well the activators run. Mark builds a great product always has.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Registered

IMO only I agree in a straight line the 27 ran great in big water. At race speeds in the turns is where the issues on handling was an issue. Every day boating is different as you know than what they were doing with the 27 SVL. What was happening happened to many different teams in many different set ups. I don't blame them for working on the bottom. Im sure the new one will kick butt with the knowledge they learned from the 27.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't remember their names , but , there was a father son team that burned the gelcoat off the bottom they ran it so hard , and it always looked great , turns straights ,no matter . it was the boat that gave miklos a run for his money back in the day .
loved the old red seats .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.