Shorty Lower on a Savage >

Shorty Lower on a Savage

Notices

Shorty Lower on a Savage

Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Lower on a Savage

Any one try a 2" or 1" shorty on a 28 Savage, or any ideas for me? Also I've noticed my 01 has a notched transom and from the pics of the new red 2005 28 that looks like a straight transom, Why the change? While we are at it how about props, what is every one running and what type of results from other props that you have tried?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Re: Shorty Lower on a Savage

I would say your drive is sitting fairly high to start with but you would have to measure that. A.T. tends to favor a high X it seems. As far as the notch is concerned that is just one of the many changes to the 28. The 28 was based off the 31 center console but has sense been changed to a cut down version of the 32 Revenge. Pat might jump in here and explain some of this. As far as the props go I don't know what you have for power but I am running a labbed left-handed 24 bravo on my 496.
I will say I have always wondered what an extension box might do on the back of one of these,
Old 09-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

ghaskell, I have been trying to tune mine in with different shaft hgts. I have asked a few times as to the latest shaft hgt and no one seems to know. Mine I think is extremely high with the prop shaft 2.0 inches below the boat bottom and thats with a 1.50 inch spacer. I have tried all the way down to a 3.0 spacer up to zero spacer and the 1.50 performs the best with my 4 blade. My slip numbers are still a little high so my next step is to start over with a 5 blade prop.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We are all going to find out soon what an extension box will do. Pat is building a new 28 with a 525 and ITS. Not sure what it will do, but a normal 525 was running 75-77 with the 525.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Registered

If they add an extension box to the new hull with out the notched transom, isnt that the same effect as the notch that was in the boat in the first place? The notch in my transom now is 10.0 inches tall and 12.0 inches forward. Approximatly the same as some extension box's.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

Thanks guys for the replys, Maybe we can get to th bottom of this. I have been toying with the idea of an extension box also, However In general I've been told that it could or could not work and I'm a little scared to put all that money into something that will make it slower. My 28 has a 500efi with a labbed right hand 24 bravo 4 blade. Currently i am running 70 on gps in fresh water at 5300 RPM touching the rev limiter. This I feel is a little slow but not too far far away from respectable. I would like to see 5 mph or more gain and I think this is possible with the right set up. I have tried a friends 5 blade prop it was way too big but it gave me the bow lift i needed, right now my boat will not carry the bow at all when I trim the drive I get bad prop slip and the bow porpoises. The 5 blade seemed to hook up much better. I have measured the x dimension and I am also 2 inches below the bottom of the boat. I have been told that I would see better results from being even with the bottom. One other problem I've Noticed is a slight list to the right while running maybe this boat should have a left hand prop on it? I don't know but looking for answers. I'm sure that the right hand came from the factory and can't imagine the wrong prop being on it from square one. I have to drag the left tab at about 3 or 4 all the time to keep the boat flat. I would love for pat to jump in because its hard to get him on the phone at the factory. Well thats it any suggestions guys? Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Let me know when you find the secret. I have a 28 Pantera with a notched transom that is exactly the same. I can tell you that running the drive deeper will/should give you more bow lift. I changed from a 2" spacer/3.25" below the bottom to a 3"/4.25 below the bottom. It carried the bow better and slip went down. Also, I had rake and cupping added to prop for bow lift and had the trailing edge thinned to reduce stern lift.
As far as your slip #'s, they are right where they should be at about 13%. I really doubt you will see much better than that on a 28 single engine boat. My slip is closer to 18%, but I spin a labbed 26"prop.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghaskell
Thanks guys for the replys, Maybe we can get to th bottom of this. I have been toying with the idea of an extension box also, However In general I've been told that it could or could not work and I'm a little scared to put all that money into something that will make it slower. My 28 has a 500efi with a labbed right hand 24 bravo 4 blade. Currently i am running 70 on gps in fresh water at 5300 RPM touching the rev limiter. This I feel is a little slow but not too far far away from respectable. I would like to see 5 mph or more gain and I think this is possible with the right set up. I have tried a friends 5 blade prop it was way too big but it gave me the bow lift i needed, right now my boat will not carry the bow at all when I trim the drive I get bad prop slip and the bow porpoises. The 5 blade seemed to hook up much better. I have measured the x dimension and I am also 2 inches below the bottom of the boat. I have been told that I would see better results from being even with the bottom. One other problem I've Noticed is a slight list to the right while running maybe this boat should have a left hand prop on it? I don't know but looking for answers. I'm sure that the right hand came from the factory and can't imagine the wrong prop being on it from square one. I have to drag the left tab at about 3 or 4 all the time to keep the boat flat. I would love for pat to jump in because its hard to get him on the phone at the factory. Well thats it any suggestions guys? Thanks
My cell is 954-658-4972.

That's the best it is going to run. Don't spend another nickel looking for 5 mph because it won't happen. But I surmise you love the boat. That's nice to hear, Enjoy.

Pat
Old 09-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghaskell
Hey Greg,

If you've got the boat doing 70 on gps in fresh water, you're at it's limit with current power. I agree with Pat, don't spend another nickel trying for more speed with the current set up. Hope you were able to run in some rough this summer. That's were the boat really shines.

Steve
Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Registered

I wouldn't suggest the shorty unit unless someone has one setting around you can try just for knowledge purposes. When I removed my spacer that put me at close to level with the hull bottom. I had a hard time getting on plane and would blow out my prop and hit the rev limiter at half throttle. I'm running more power and prop but Pat recommended the 5 blade, so thats my next step.

Quick Reply: Shorty Lower on a Savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.