Notices

28AT info

Old 07-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28AT info

I really think I'm ready to upsize a bit this year, and I've got it narrowed down to a couple of options. I think the only two real candidates are a Sonic 26 or the AT28. I posted something similar on the Sonic side to get their input too. I know AT owners are really proud of their boats, and will tell me there is no comparison, but I'm looking for any and all info you can give me.

Both true V's, good sized cabin, enclosed heads, single engine. I do all my boating on inland lakes, and I want to be able to overnight from time to time.

Lake Travis can get pretty snotty, and I want to know well the 28 handles the washing machine. I hear she is great in the big stuff, but I wont be seeing big rollers. Just the cruiser wakes and nasty slop that bouces around in all directions.

The AT has the flat back, but the Sonic has the molded swim platform. Is that included in the 26' length? So am I really comparing a 25 foot boat to a 28 footer?

What do you all think of the cabin space and cockpit space?

I've got two little boys that are getting to love water sports. The boat I have now is by no means a ski boat, but I can pull a tube or a wakeboard. Anyone tried with the 28?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by squick
I really think I'm ready to upsize a bit this year, and I've got it narrowed down to a couple of options. I think the only two real candidates are a Sonic 26 or the AT28. I posted something similar on the Sonic side to get their input too. I know AT owners are really proud of their boats, and will tell me there is no comparison, but I'm looking for any and all info you can give me.

Both true V's, good sized cabin, enclosed heads, single engine. I do all my boating on inland lakes, and I want to be able to overnight from time to time.

Lake Travis can get pretty snotty, and I want to know well the 28 handles the washing machine. I hear she is great in the big stuff, but I wont be seeing big rollers. Just the cruiser wakes and nasty slop that bouces around in all directions.

The AT has the flat back, but the Sonic has the molded swim platform. Is that included in the 26' length? So am I really comparing a 25 foot boat to a 28 footer?

I've got two little boys that are getting to love water sports. The boat I have now is by no means a ski boat, but I can pull a tube or a wakeboard. Anyone tried with the 28?

Thanks for any input.
I owned a 28 before my 33 and absolutely loved the boat. It will handle all the nasty stuff you can throw at it. It has the biggest cabin I've seen for it's size and the deep cockpit is unparalleled.

I believe Sydwayz owned a 26 Sonic and could probably fill you in what his thoughts are on it. I can say I've seen them run and was not impressed. I saw alot of porposing.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

its true, the 28 seems to be the way to go. Im a big fan and i dont even own one........yet
Old 07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Registered

The 28 A.T. will handle anything that Lake Travis can throw at it without any problems. I spent 12 years in Austin and on Travis and can tell you that it never came close to the snot I was running my 28 A.T. in up here on the St Lawarence river or great lakes area. I lived on the boat every week end with the wife and son so the cabin works fine also. There really is no way o compare thr so-nic to the A.T. And there are a couple of good deals out there now. Good Luck
Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Also,

We took a 250 mile roundtrip in January from Pompano Beach, FL, to Key Largo and Islamorada; with 2-33s, 4-37s, and a 28. Boatfreak here on OSO did the entire run in his 28 w/ 496HO. And when the Atlantic kicked up to 4-6s on the way home, he hung with us VERY well. He eventually cut to the Intercoastal in North Miami while the rest of the pack ran back to Pompano in the ocean. (Several folks had flights to catch; and the 28' cutting to the Intercoastal was the right decision as coming back into the inlet in Pompano was a BlTCH with 12-15 footers rolling out with the tide.)

However I would have NEVER taken my 26' Sonic out in what he had his 28' AT in with us that day. I had my 26' Sonic (with HP500EFI) for three seasons. I was very confident in the boat, and I knew what that boat could handle. But I would have never wanted to be there in those conditions in that boat.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-27-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:11 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

squick, i don't know your budget, but the 25at would be a better comparison to the sonic, and a nice clean, freshwater(?) 25 just popped up in the classies! You wont really be finding a 28 in this $ range. Maybe someone here knows this one.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17735-en.html
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
squick, i don't know your budget, but the 25at would be a better comparison to the sonic, and a nice clean, freshwater(?) 25 just popped up in the classies! You wont really be finding a 28 in this $ range. Maybe someone here knows this one.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17735-en.html

Thats a sweet boat.

That bezel for the speedo isnt the right one. Call diamond performance and get the 3 5/8" bezel. I have the same set up.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the input fellas, keep it coming. I fell in love with the AT's as soon as I saw them, and that 25 is pretty sharp. I think I want to stay a bit newer though. I'm looking for something really clean and that wont be a maintenance problem.

Cosmic, you would not believe how much worse Lake Travis has gotten over the last few years. More and more people moving to the area, and I think every one of them bought a cruiser. In the channel between Devil's Cove and Carlos and Charlies is getting really bad. A 29 foot fountain broke up out there a few weeks ago. I used to be able to run through it with my little 23 footer pretty good, but now I just get beat to hell.

I know it's not what it was built for, but has anyone tried pulling anything with a 28?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Check out my 28AT, 1999 twin for sale in the classifieds. It is a true offshore boat with 350magMPI's that get GREAT fuel mileage; it will run low 70's and shouldn't be compared to a 26 prowler. I looked at Sonics before I bought my AT; pretty boats but not quite the same as AT. Ride in both.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by squick

Thanks for any input.
I will be up at Lake Travis on Labor Day if not before. Give me a call an you can see first hand the fit and finish of the AT.

Clark
713-540-0171

Quick Reply: 28AT info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.