scarab 33 or at 33 >

scarab 33 or at 33

Notices

scarab 33 or at 33

Old 11-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scarab 33 or at 33

Looking at a 2002 scarab 33 or getting 33 AT.Has anybody had a scarab and moved up to a AT.Can't deside witch way to go.Is the cabin in a33 about the same size has a 37.What are the good points going with AT.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Cabin on the 33 is slightly smaller than the 37, but not a huge difference. The head and cockpits of the 33 and 37 are IDENTICAL. The engine is room shorter on the 33, as compared to the 37 (37 fits a genset, or other engine configs). The 33AT will have more freeboard than the 33 Scarab; you will be IN the boat, not on it. That said, the 33AVS is a great boat. I have been on a couple, and they are sweet.

The 33 hull was built and designed by taking the 37's hull down to a 9/10s scale, so everything is identical, just slightly smaller. Hence, everything works very well, and the handling is nearly identical. (The 43's hull is basically a 12/10s scale of the 37.)

The AT AVH hull really works well in rough water, and provides a very smooth 'surf' type of feel. The way the DDC hull is designed, the step/deep-V cuts the water in two, and the aft portion of the hull with a sculpted pad rides the part or surfs it out. It hard to describe. You have to ride in one. The last 33AVH sea trial was done in 6 footers/small craft advisory.

Read some of my posts here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&highlight=DDC

and here:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&highlight=DDC

Biggest advantage to AT is you become a part of the "family" aka cult. The AT group has a LOT of fun, including at least two Thunder Runs a year, a run in January and also to the Worlds in Key West. AT is totally redoing the website as we speak, and launching some new advertising for next season, and expanding into the Poker Run circuit. Poker Runs of America tested a new 37 in last month's issue, and the latest 37 will be tested by Powerboat next month.

Please contact me if I can be of any more assistance. Pat Haughey, owner/founder of AT is also an OSO regular, and is VERY accessible anytime.

BTW, where is Clarkshill, IN? I am originally from NW Indiana.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-25-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anymore questions?

I've ridden on a few 33 Scarabs and they are a great boat. We had a 33 called Meltdown at a local marina with 600 DPX's and it ran 101 MPH!! Optimal conditions!!

Last January I was on the '07 Winter Thunder Run thanks to Sydwayz, and was lucky enough to drive the 1st 33AT Remedy. 525's with Bravos, coming back from Islamorada on the inside rolled into the throttles from a 55 mph pace and the pull was incredible!! Thanks Steve!! Next to crushin huge waves in Sydwayz's 37 on the way home in the ocean that was the best part of the run for me.

Last summer I rode in Remedy in Virginia with 4 men on board and a FULL tank of gas on flat sticky back river water and we hit 91 and climbing and had to get out of it because of limited space and river traffic.. I may be biased but If you have a choice to make I'd go AT. Join the Cult you won't regret it!!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Last January I was on the '07 Winter Thunder Run thanks to Sydwayz, and was lucky enough to drive the 1st 33AT Remedy. 525's with Bravos, coming back from Islamorada on the inside rolled into the throttles from a 55 mph pace and the pull was incredible!! Thanks Steve!! Next to crushin huge waves in Sydwayz's 37 on the way home in the ocean that was the best part of the run for me.

Last summer I rode in Remedy in Virginia with 4 men on board and a FULL tank of gas on flat sticky back river water and we hit 91 and climbing and had to get out of it because of limited space and river traffic.. I may be biased but If you have a choice to make I'd go AT. Join the Cult you won't regret it!!
Any time John.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:47 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Is it 12 O'clock yet?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Is it 12 O'clock yet?
Yep! Turned 12 here a couple of hours ago.

After spending several days with the inlaws in Pitt I'm due a cold one.

But, back on topic, I've been on both boats. The Scarab has great lines and is a very nice riding boat from watching the one in our club run. I'm partial, but think you will like the AT better. Cockpit is deeper and cabin is bigger for sure. Ride them both and decide for yourself.

And, is there really a decision here if you are comparing new against an '02? Or are you considering Remedy??
Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I will have to agree with these guys on the 33 A.T. and if you decide to join the cult watch out for R Addiction, he's a partying machine.

Clarks Hill is just South of Purdue ( Go Boilers)

If you would like to have a look at and climb around on a 37 I'm not quite 2 hrs South of you. She will be headed back to South Florida for a few months on the 12 of December.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

One more thing about that Addiction guy, he's a post whore.
He's only got 15,000 more posts than me.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

I try Mike, I try!!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden on both. The 33 Scarab Macklin mentioned belongs to a good friend of mine and I have been on it several times and i even have it parked in my garage next to my AT. It's a much better riding boat than my old 35 Fountain was. But it's a production boat compared to the AT being custom. It's hard to compare the two. I was one of the 4 men in Remedy when it ran 91 with some left. We ran back from the Keys to Pompano last January alongside Remedy in 6-8s like it was a walk in the park. It's a awesome performing boat. Most of all if you buy the AT you get cult status. There's never a dull moment on this thread with the cult.

Quick Reply: scarab 33 or at 33

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.