Boat insurance >

Boat insurance

Notices

Boat insurance

Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by never satisfied1
its a hp 500 efi w/ a procharger. nothing crazy.
allstate also quoted $2700 ind i have a fleet of 6 commercial vans and 2 personal trucks with them.
whats the deal we only have a 3-4 month season here?????????
Did you tell them you had the "ProCharger" ?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by never satisfied1
its a hp 500 efi w/ a procharger. nothing crazy.
allstate also quoted $2700 ind i have a fleet of 6 commercial vans and 2 personal trucks with them.
whats the deal we only have a 3-4 month season here?????????

Your biggest problem is your HP to LENGTH ratio. Not that there is any one good or bad number, but they do do the division, and they will get a little freaked out by a number like yours. 750(ish)HP in a 28 is definately more than stock, and they know that.

I agree with above. You need to call Dave Barbee. He has been a friend of Active Thunder since the beginning. If something fails there; call Dave Luellen and/or Sy Goldberg. If you have your boat financed with one of the big marine brokers, like Loan Ranger/Kyle or DaveP/Essex Credit, they have strong relationships with insurance folks too.

Some of us have VERY good relationships with our primary insurance agents. As James mentioned, I have many policies, including autos, special item writers (jewelry, car electronics, mountain bikes), homeowners, renters, boat, AND umbrella liability, all with the same major insurance carrier. Its very hard to just call up one of the big boys like State Farm, Geico, All State, etc. etc. and just get a policy on a boat. You have to have a good relationship with them, and unfortunately have all of your eggs in one basket to do so. Sometimes this gets you a good discount (I too have a CG discount, and was a VFF for 10 years), however you run the risk of getting a terrible speeding ticket in your car (140 in a 45 will do it, found that out), and then they can cancel your go-fast boat assuming you are a risk on water as well. I have a great relationship with my agent, and the woman who runs the place (the real HMFIC) is like a second mother to me; and has always gone to bat for me.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have all my other insurance policies (vehicles, home and umbrella) with State Farm, but they won't touch my boat. I don't get it.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macklin
Well, I have all my other insurance policies (vehicles, home and umbrella) with State Farm, but they won't touch my boat. I don't get it.
Same here. They wrote the Fountain for $1100 a year but wouldnt touch the AT because of the HP per Ft. that Sydwayz was talking about.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They wouldn't write my PQ either, yet there are other folks in the club with similar boats insured with SF. Makes no sense...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Macklin
They wouldn't write my PQ either, yet there are other folks in the club with similar boats insured with SF. Makes no sense...
My State Farm guy said he could write the AT in the beginning but when the boat was ready he took an about face on his word jamming me up at the last minute. I hope I see the SQB broke down on his jet ski in the Rivah one day wanting a tow. I'll tell him my insurance doesnt cover towing and ride off smiling.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

My S.F. guy said no to my A.T. after I have had about 30 cars & trucks, my house's many snowmobiles, 5 boats 3 bikes. Then he said he has to cancel the house because I had an ice damage claim........ I said see ya you just blew it big time and left. Changed everything to Nat. Grange way cheaper.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered

My experience with SF is that the agent can have a lot of influence with the underwriters. We have had all of our boats, including the AT with SF. The rates are typically very good. None of our boats have had larger than twin 500 HP's.
Not sure what would happen with a 525 boat. I would not think they would touch anything larger. Very conservative company.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

State Farm will not right anything 1001 HP above, period!!!! That is what my agent said. He has been my agent for about 15 years.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered

I'm looking for a new policy too....let me know if it sounds good.

Quick Reply: Boat insurance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.