Notices

an update

Old 05-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default an update

What an interesting month. That is all I can say. As we wrap up the final days of Dan's boat build alot has been kept under wraps. As any new installation goes there is such a great learning curve that the obstacles almost make time stand still and you wonder if you will ever get through the project. And so do your customers.

Dan wandered back and forth from engine builder to engine builder as you all know. In the end he chose Keith Eickert's 675s basically from their reputation and our input. (not that Jassman had anything to do with this or forced his opinions on Dan in any way) K/E seemed the most user friendly with the most reliable power for the money and the best product.

What most of you don't know is that we actually ran Dan's boat last Saturday and failed pretty much miserably.

From engine hatches and exhaust/ muffler modifications to engine mounts and stringer layouts we have been thrown every curve ball imaginable in this installation. It almost seemed as if it was almost be behind us until Saturday when the computers decided it was time for a long weekend, too. We never made it out of the cut.

Tuesday morning we called the K/E factory and told them our problem. The engine brains were overnighted back to K/E. Wednesday we received a phone call from K/E and were told they would be in our factory Thursday morning with a team to evaluate and fix the problem. And they were. And they did. They spent the day with diagnostics and recalulating the brains. In the end it turned out that the hull efficiency was so much higher than they expected that they actually had to lean out the engines to get them to burn fuel correctly. And when programmed running in the boat the engines burned fuel clean and crisp. Nice, nice product.

Final speeds are not in. I misjudged the power and started with a 30 pitch prop on a 1.35 drive. But I like to work my way up the ladder and not down. I will say this though, those engine blew those props out at 91 mph and threw the engines into full rev-limit at 5500 rpms. The ride stopped there. We came back to the dock with smiles and so did the K/E staff.

Steve has a couple of pictures he will post tomorrow and we will run some different props over the weekend. Dan, you made the right choice. The engines are great and so is their factory support. I can't thank them enough.

We will be working all weekend on the prop testing. Our first thoughts were to run some 32 Bravos on it down to Shooters and stop and hold a meeting on their performance dockside. We have some 34 Bravos that will get us down to the Tiki Bar........ Dan, don't worry about a thing. We will work especially hard on it this weekend.

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 05-30-2002 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat,

That sounds good about the weekend, my flight gets in around 3:30 pm Friday. You got my room ready???

Seriously, it has been a great process working with you, Steve and the rest of the AT crew. It was a true classy move by KE and only solidifies my decesion. I am so happy with the performance of the boat and I know that you did not want to post anything but I will post one quote,"at 91 mph the boat rode like it was on rails, no hard steering needed, and there is plenty more hp left." I can not wait till the prop testing is done and the speeds are posted. But, what I really can not wait for is to have the boat here in Jersey.

Oh yeahy and for everyone else, I did make on last change....I am having an intercom system overnighted to AT for a Monday install. Had to finish up the build process with one last change. And as usual Pat said, no problem, send it down and I will take care of it.

Keith Eickert and Active Thunder, what customer service and an outstanding product is all about.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Pat & Dan,

sounds to me like you really need an obsver on these prop test for Dan's boat. I can be on a flight tomorrow morning. No really, it would be no problem at all. Oh yes I know, it would be a sacrifice but I'd be willing to do it considering all you have done for me over the years. I would love to help out.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Todd, if by chance you can't make it down Monday, your more than welcome to help test out my boat with Pat, about a month from now, this way Sandy and I can also meet you and Tracy.. I think 34 pitch props, 12% slip @ 104 plus is what we will see on Monday. Pat I bet you a bottle of Crown Special Reserve
Old 05-30-2002, 09:13 PM
Registered

todd,

you bet, I will see you tomorrow.

Jassman,

you been doing some homework, haven't you.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Registered

Fred,

We will have to rain check the dinner until October when I am hauling her back to Florida for the Thunderrun. Pat is having the boat hauled to Jersey for me. This time of year for me at work is still crazy. (commercial pool business) But we will definetly hook up in October.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Pat, Dan, Todd, Jeff-

You know I'd be down in an instant too...... but I would ruin the weather!

Thanks for keeping us all posted- it sure is a terrific boat!

Jim
Old 05-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

Jim,

If the weather got rough we would have to just find some inland waters, isn't Florida great fishing-how bout we run against some of them bassboats on some lakes???
Old 05-30-2002, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Dan- LOL.... haven't you ever noticed that funny one-fingered wave that fishermen seem to reserve for our type of boat?
Old 05-31-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Thumbs up AWESOME!

WOW! That sounds AWESOME! Great job Pat and K/E! It sure is noce to see some positive stuff after all that happened earlier this month. Best of luck with your new ride.

Shane

Quick Reply: an update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.