Leaking power steering fluid.....help >

Leaking power steering fluid.....help

Notices

Leaking power steering fluid.....help

Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking power steering fluid.....help

I posted this up in general discussion and been looking on mercruiser parts website to figure out what parts these are. I have a bad leak (you can see in the pics how bad its gotten with teh brown in the bilge). Its coming from the steering cable box and the part that the power steering lines run into. I know its going to be a decent amount to fix, but any help to identify these would help.. I'm trying to get an idea on cost..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ing-fluid.html

Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

I believe you are missing a grease "boot" there? Are you losing fluid or grease?

I have a complete unit in good condition that you can have for half what you are quoted.....
Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

I'm leaking fluid... Pump was completely empty today when I checked it today so over the winter the seal must have completely went to hell. I know I was losing fluid last year, but was minor. I couldn't tell where it was coming from until I turned the wheel today and it started pouring out. What are you looking for for the unit you have? How old is it?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I'm leaking fluid... Pump was completely empty today when I checked it today so over the winter the seal must have completely went to hell. I know I was losing fluid last year, but was minor. I couldn't tell where it was coming from until I turned the wheel today and it started pouring out. What are you looking for for the unit you have? How old is it?
I have the complete steering "ram" unit, basically from where it mounts on the inner transom plate out....if that makes sense? Send me your email address and I will send pictures, it is mid 1990's but came off the boat late 1990's and I have had it in my shop since, it is in good shape. Find out what your problem is and we can go from there? It will not be expensive......
Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

You already have add-on external steering, instead of chasing this why not just go ahead and upgrade to full hydro to the helm?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
You already have add-on external steering, instead of chasing this why not just go ahead and upgrade to full hydro to the helm?
That would all depend on cost for full hydraulic vs a fix to the existing.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go full hydraulic also. It depends on where you buy the sysytem. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the boat. Fgure on 1200.00 to 1400.00 for the rest of the kit. I also have the part that is leaking on your boat (we just moved so it may take a bit to find it)
Old 04-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by R Addiction
I'd go full hydraulic also. It depends on where you buy the sysytem. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the boat. Fgure on 1200.00 to 1400.00 for the rest of the kit. I also have the part that is leaking on your boat (we just moved so it may take a bit to find it)
Where did you move to? Still up in PA?? My bday falls on a Saturday this year (21 July) and am going to try and get some locals (or fairly local lol) to raft up at Dobbins Island.... I know we were tryin' to get some of the fellow Tantrum owners to meet up last year
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

I agree with John, full hydro is the way to fix this. Especially since you are topping out over 80mph.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by My Addiction
I agree with John, full hydro is the way to fix this. Especially since you are topping out over 80mph.
I'm going to have MDG price it out for me since I was planning on getting the boat over there to get the carbs synced and idle smoothed out.. Going to most likely just have Dave take care of everything while its there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.