What besides AT???

Notices

What besides AT???

Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Hahaha! Thanks Laz!

Might be heading north this weekend or next if the snow holds on....looks like Kalkaska got a good load!
Sure did. We got 16" at our house overnight official report was 15". See you up there soon.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM
DRP
Registered

As said above that 33's are nonexistent and 32's are slim to nil.
The only 32's that I know of that I would consider is the one in the classifieds with 496 HO's but seems nice but a little and makes me wonder why everything was replaced?
The pier 57 redo...this boat is in my backyard and it came out awesome but I don't think Scott will sell it. He will probably keep it for a show piece. If he does sell it, it will probably be priced up there with a 33, so the 33 would be the choice.
Also saw one on Craigslist from Miami...has boxes and 525sc's. This one is interesting to me because of the setup but the saltwater scares me so much that it doesn't interest me.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 AM
DRP
Registered

Keep the info coming about the 32 and 33's. Would love to learn everything about them. Pics, speeds with what power, how or if boxes helps.

Powerplays are as hard to find as well but would like to here if any other mainstream boats "somewhat" compare. My heart is with AT and will probably have to wait as long as it takes for the right one to come along or win the lotto but just wondering.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a 33PP with outboards?

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...MERCURY-300X-s
Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bad-Influence
Guys, thanks for all the replies! I am learning a lot and enjoying the read.

PPJ - I'm not ready to buy yet, probably be a couple of years...just trying to get my ducks in a row. Before I even started this thread I was in love with the 33 AT but there just aren't enough out there to be had. I have been window shopping for AT's for a couple of years now and they are hard to find. I feel I have a better chance of finding and being able to afford a 32.
Thats cool. You have time to find a nice one. Can't beat the amenities in the AT especially for overnight. My buddy made a filler for the lounge and can sleep 4 adults.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 11-27-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad-Influence
As said above that 33's are nonexistent and 32's are slim to nil.
The only 32's that I know of that I would consider is the one in the classifieds with 496 HO's but seems nice but a little and makes me wonder why everything was replaced?
It was a repoed boat that was partially stripped and was not taken care off. It was never damaged or under water, at least not prior to 2007. Mainly it was just neglected.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Amenities are top notch on the AT fo sho
I have a stupid question not related... so the AT is supposed to be a wave crusher AND not take a ton of HP to run fast.
How is this accomplished?
Characteristics of a wave crusher is weight, but its not heavy since they run fast so how can you crush waves AND be fast?
I build them "heavy". Not a resin bucket but a very thorough and expensive lay-up where everything is double bonded and will not come apart. Essentially what we refer to in the bodyshop as a unibody.

The hull design kinda counteracts the weight and gives it speed.

In a different business where we repair and paint/ graphic boats I see failures from some high profile builders that make me shake my head as to why they would be put in a position of liability and warranty for the sake of a few MPH.

There was a period of time where we ran faster and were lighter than many builders but warranty issues made me rethink being the fastest in smooth water to being the most fearless in rough water.

I chose the rough water. Hence a boat that rides very well in rough water but is agile and quick through design. When I land that solid "thump" is all I want to hear.

So the answer to your question really is that it is a wave crusher with a combination of weight and hull design but at the same time fast to hull design alone. DDC patented. I don't see a patented hull design with any of the competition but many will pay $100k+ to get a boat that doesn't handle safely and has warranty issues for a better advertised name.

Why?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=ActiveThunder;3822355

There was a period of time where we ran faster and were lighter than many builders but warranty issues made me rethink being the fastest in smooth water to being the most fearless in rough water.

I chose the rough water. Hence a boat that rides very well in rough water but is agile and quick through design. When I land that solid "thump" is all I want to hear.

If more went that route less would break up. I can think of a few...

I much prefer playing in the rough over all out speed on flat water. Good job!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Bad-Influence;3821992]Keep the info coming about the 32 and 33's. Would love to learn everything about them. Pics, speeds with what power, how or if boxes helps.

Powerplays are as hard to find as well but would like to here if any other mainstream boats "somewhat" compare. My heart is with AT and will probably have to wait as long as it takes for the right one to come along or win the lotto but just wondering.

Thanks![/QUOTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcYIJ...e_gdata_player
Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Not the same hull as a PP. What is your budget? There are some nice 32 AT's that pop up from time to time.
Please don't take this as any kind of correction but most of the old V-bottoms are pretty much the same. The 32 AT and the 33 PP as well. The PP measures 32' and the AT measure 31'6". All boat builders lie about the length. Sorry, but it's the truth. Tell me you've never lied about size.....

Both my boats and Dan's boats had long, straight keels with wider lifting strakes in approximately the same place. If you can get Steve Koss to way in he would explain better.

Why do the handle well and fly so level? Go to your local "rack and stack" and walk under the boats and look up.

Where do the inner lifting strakes end?

A 45' Sonic ends where a 33 Sonics end. Same with Cig and so on and on. But only on the Vees. They stretched the boats but not the lifting strakes (aka WING). Good reason why the porpoise and nose dive all over the place. They have no lift!

Simple reason any good ol' 32 AT or 33 PP will run better with the big boys! We fly level and true.

BTW, before I bought AT I had a 30 Sonic SS and spent time at PP discussing a new 33. But I am 6-1 and slightly larger than Weinstein and just didn't fit. Hence the last 20 years building the ATs.

Done rambling......

B-I., don't give up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.