Windshield AT 37

Notices

Windshield AT 37

Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield AT 37

Hi,

i have a question about the windshield on the newer 37's .

I have only 3 Flaps and they don't realy work well. The newer have a complete windshield.

Do they work good, how high are they over the hull ?

Greatings from Germany

Hans
Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hans,
I have a 33' that uses the same type of set-up. When Pat rigged our boat I asked that he install the windshield higher than normal. I would say mine is about 3 1/2 to 4" above the deck. I believe the standard mounting height is about 1" lower. I think ours works pretty good, for what it is. You're not going to get the same protection as a full winshield offers, like a Formula, but I find it to be a good compromise. It also depends how tall you are, as to where the wind hits you.
Steve
Old 01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Registered

Works great. In a normal driving configuration the wind goes over the top of your head and you can hold a conversation.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Mine is 3.25 inches above the fairing and works very well. Like Laz said, it deflects the wind upward right over your head.
Mine was made/installed by the prior owner and not a factory part.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Hello Hans in Germany

Bob Morgan put them on this AT don’t know how good they worked 100 MPH boat.

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...Active-Thunder
Old 01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

Hi you all,
thank's for answering.
Good to hear that it works.
I have two reasons because i look for a windshield. It's often sunny weather in Springtime here in Germany but temperature only at about 20 degre Celsius i belive that's mid 60's F. Nice when you sit in the sun but cold at 50mls, you need a jacked and a cap.
Second reason and more importend to me then to my wife, is the noise in the ears. I hear nothing then wind all the time. I just builded the motors up with some Whipple Chargers and like to hear how the run. I have Mercury Racing quiet CE Exhaust Boxes. I only hear the Chargers while accelerate and nothing else but wind. Even not the beeper when troublecodes are detected. With some Control lights i hope i can "see" the beeper.
When i drive a little faster i have always the head down to hear the motors corect running, that's grazy.
It's truly not a 100 mls boat with 2x 600 HP but i had 80 for a short test run . After this i had totaly red eyes even with a very good lens.
I belive i will find somebody here to get a shield cutted and make the angle by my self. I' not very tall so 3 1/2 inch will work for me when it works for you.

Greatings from cold wet Germany

Hans
Old 01-15-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hans

The windscreen is not that difficult to make yourself. The one Griff speaks of I made. Just remove the "crash pad" and take some cardboard to make a pattern. The Lexan/Polycarbonate was either 1/4" or 5/16" thick. I used a circular and a jig saw to cut it then sanded the edges, I then took a heat cut warming up the areas requiring bending/forming, after this I predrilled the holes larger than they needed to be so they wouldn't "snag" putting it on. I would suggest getting enough material in case you break one in the process of making/installing it. It was my first attempt in trying this and it turned out fine, however I did break one in the process.

I know some of the newer ones are much thicker but I don't think it's necessary, my 37' and several others are of the thinner type and have held up fine.

Steve
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Hi Steve,
I saw some YouTube Videos and they all cut with a disk saw to get a clean cut and use a welding torch to clear the edges. I found a firm who make the cut's and clear the cut surfaces. I want that it look professional and i belive i can not do it by my self like i want it. I can make the holes and the angles. The cut's and 2 rounded edges are not so expensive and no risk to brake it . I only would use a drill with a cut for plastic that i don't brake by drilling holes.
I belive the thinner material is easier to get between hull and "Crash pad" because there is not much space between Crash pad and side cover.

Greatings

Hans