Prop & boat pairing - tomorrow's the day to see how we did

Notices

Prop & boat pairing - tomorrow's the day to see how we did

Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558998[/ATTACH]
You have what on the bottom of your go fast?
Attached Thumbnails Prop & boat pairing - tomorrow's the day to see how we did-628-mayarudolph-52.jpg  
Old 09-03-2016, 03:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griff - to your question, props are Powertechs - see first post, there is a link to the specific props.

Yes it is a go-fast boat. Trailering just burns so much time and I am using this every day. For me, the beard isn't a big deal, it will come off and it is the cost of running daily where I am located It is docked, About cleaning the bottom, getting a diver to clean the boat doesn’t appear to be an option here. Pulling the boat out of the water for muriatic acid cleaning even comes with complications. If the department of natural resources sees me doing this, I probably. can’t leave the ramp w/o having to do a great deal of cleaning right there - they are strict on monitoring the transportation of invasive species, as they should be. I can make some calls, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they prohibited this, but maybe not since the stuff works so well and I don’t think it is terrible if it seeps into the water?

I believe I may have mentioned this above or maybe i am confusing this w/ another post, but until yesterday I had not pushed the boat past 3K rpm….so the beard had not been an issue. I get that the green beard on the boat could be viewed as sacrilegious. I tried to get a lift, but the place I rented dock space from didn't want one there...and with dock space so hard to find near the cities, it is what it is. The boat will be coming out of the water and acid washed, just has not happened yet. Another driver here is in minnesota the boating season is short and I was out of the water until about mid july when I picked up the at. For me, taking the boat out of commission for a bit simply for a bath so I can get more speed/rpm from the boat and I hone in on the ideal prop on a lake with a 45 mph speed limit…seems a bit out of my. If I was racing, I totally get the need for

i knew I had some substantial obstacles to achieve max speed, I attempted to write about these in a sarcastic way, some seemed to pick up on it, others, I wonder if they did? I do know these obstacles all slow down the boat and this is why I wrote this the way I did. I guess my tone isn't coming through as I had hoped.

I also have to consider that maybe I am going to the wrong audience for guidance as I start to learn a lot, I don’t think I am and I sure hope this is not the case. Many responses do provide a lot of help,a few are mildly snarky (which is why I wonder if some of my ways actually offend some?). Yea, I know, be though skinned on Oso and I believe I am, but I also attempt to consider others motivations for actions and comments (that’s just my nature).

So I get it, honing in on what might be the absolute best prop for me can't be done right now, but absolute best was never my goal, fitting the boat with the right, proper prop was and still is, but I will no longer mention this until I address some of the things that would hold me back. This whole thread started because I expressed ant after waiting about 2 months that I would be able to get rid in the loaner 21” props I had been running for a set that was recommended and I quickly learned I was under propped. I think I have already obtained the level of feedback appropriate for me. Seems to me I have 2 great recommendations I’m going to run with; Mirage 3 blade 28/29/30?” or b1 4 blade ~ 28”. For that matter, the 24” prop I have on there actually performed a lot better than I anticipated (but again, I don’t know what speeds I should/could be hitting….I have no defined goal.

SO, although my note is defensive in some areas, I wanted to share some perspective that might help explain. I also wanted to again express gratitude for your guidance.

Thanks!

- scott -
Old 09-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
Seems to me I have 2 great recommendations I’m going to run with; Mirage 3 blade 28/29/30?” or b1 4 blade ~ 28”. - scott -
Mirage 27
Old 09-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No hard "snarky" feeling here, you just have to get used to good natured ribbing here in the cult. Just my personal preference, but I never have left any of my boats in the water more than an occasional overnight stay. I would worry to much about it sinking, or worse the hull itself starting to blister. I guess you could bottom paint the hull, to protect it but then you would probably get a harsher responce....enjoy it because it's almost time to break out the winter toys up here
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Mirage 27
Thanks so much! Is there a recommended diameter, there seem to be several options here. Just guessing here, but I suspect the larger the diameter the larger the blade surface to move the boat, but this come with offsetting undesirable drag?

Not knowing better, if I had to pick a diameter on my own, I think I would probably go 14.75?
Old 09-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would just keep an eye out for the 27's in the swap shop. Most of the Mirage and Mirage Plus props are 14.5-14.75. I wouldn't worry too much about diameter right now.
The props you have now, while not ideal, will work ok with your situation and for testing to get all the other bugs worked out.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Registered

Sounds like your having fun with your boat and that's the best part. So carry on. You had me going with all the green.
I think your going to see 74MPH with your setup and the right props.
Don't know what your X is maybe Pat can be of some help.
I see three or four of your 32s on the Chain of lakes in IL none of them are slow boats. No daytime speed limit.

I can tell you when you take your jem out on the big pond or Lake of the Ozarks your going
to crap in your shorts when you see the waves your boat can take on. A+ for bad AZZ.
Best of luck and be safe.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Well my prop quest hit a stands stil and it looks like i'll have a good opportunity to clean and do a couple other things. I was puttering around and then all of the suddenly it felt like I spun the prop off,,,all rev and no go! I'm guessing it's the coupling but I also tend to think of bad things first and hope it is something minor. The prop was on the boat. I'm going to swap prop sides to see if that drives another prop to first see if I possibly spun the hub. Then I need to squeeze around the side of the engine compartment with a gopro to get some pictures of the coupling. I guess I should be looking for metal shavings, if so, i'll get out some magnets too. Anything else to look for? I guess if it is the coupling and the engine needs to come out i'll have a better chance to look at the transom....always looking for the silver lining :-)
Old 09-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

I am reminded of your avatar every time I read one of your posts!

Last edited by rak rua; 09-06-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spellnig
Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
With the trim cables adjusted properly, you can trim out to 8-8.5 on the indicator for max speed.
That puts the drives at max safe recommended angle for the u-joints per Merc.
Tabs all the way up at WOT, but really I see no speed increase at anything higher than 3 on the indicators.

Exactly what brand/make are those props???? The slip numbers are very low.
My slip numbers(around 12%) are lower than most 32's because I have ext boxes. Your slip numbers are crazy low.
Most 32's run slip%'s in the mid-high teens. Your boat could also have a deeper X dim since its a 1996 though.
Griff, I looked into these props when I had my Pantera, but ended up trying a Rev 4. They are a high rake 4 blade prop and will have better bow lift than a Bravo prop. That is all I remember. I do remember that they also had good customer service when I called.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.