Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
32 with extension boxes, anyone have experience? >

32 with extension boxes, anyone have experience?

Notices

32 with extension boxes, anyone have experience?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 32 with extension boxes, anyone have experience?

I'm looking at a 32 with stellings boxes. Anyone have info on pros and cons with this set-up? Thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: 32 with extension boxes, anyone have experience?

Yep, I do. Works good.

Actually, I made too many changes on my boat (32' A/T) when I added the Stelling extension boxes to know exactly what kind of gains the boat got out of the boxes whether they be negative or positive. I believe it was good for my hull---no steps or notched transom. I mounted them as high as I could (just beneath the rub rail) and I believe I still need a -2" IMCO shortie. I will be trying those next spring to how it works out. On that hull, perhaps it will complete/enhance the extension boxes to its full potential. I am quite sure it should help, but we shall see.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:25 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Pure , What 32 are you looking at? Aren't you doing alot of work to the Sonic?
Old 10-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Registered

I have completely disassembled the engine compartment to re-gel and re-rig. I was poking into transom and discovered it is wet. I don't know how bad it is yet. I've put it up for sale because I am not sure I want to continue with all the work. I found a nice 32 AT that looks good. Right now I am just trying to figure out what to do. I may sell the boat as is and keep my power for something else, or sell the whole package and buy a complete boat. I don't know, I have a business idea that may prevent me from doing anything.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 40 Likes on 8 Posts

We have a 32 with boxes and ssm #4s. But they were on there when we bought it. We like how the boat handles.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bshzba
We have a 32 with boxes and ssm #4s. But they were on there when we bought it. We like how the boat handles.
What kind of power are you running?

i have a friend that has imco boxes on his 32. he upgraded the carbed 500's to 625's, and only gained 5 mph (running around 90 now). He feels he should be alot faster. he played with shorty drives and they did not work for him. now he is playing with gear ratio's. he would really appreciate help with this from anyone who played with this setup.

he has bravo's by the way.

Maybe Joey will chime in on his experiences!!! ???
Old 10-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 40 Likes on 8 Posts

We are running 1000hps ( 572s 1471 blowers) The 4s have 1.40 ratio with 33 cleavers. We have not made any speed runs yet. But at 5200 rpms we are in the 100+mph range. We are having coastal performance in Michigan setting the boat up right now Phill will be back in next Tuesday. Your friend may want to give him a call. Hes a great guy and always more than happy to give advice. He rigged a few of reggies race boats and worked at the skater plant. He know what hes talking about. His number is 616-862-6030 and he will be back the middle of next week. Or your friend could call Jamie (the guy that works with him) 616-862-9496 He also has alot of experience.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=hi-perf-2000]What kind of power are you running?

i have a friend that has imco boxes on his 32. he upgraded the carbed 500's to 625's, and only gained 5 mph (running around 90 now). He feels he should be alot faster. he played with shorty drives and they did not work for him. QUOTE]

What year is your friend's 32' A/T?---as that would tell us if he has a notched transom or not. Does he have nose cones?

If I were your friend I honestly don't think I would feel too disappointed with a 5mph gain with the 250hp increase in power he upgraded to. The faster you go, the harder it is to go faster----especially when you are in the mid to upper 80mph range. I've been there-------heck, I'm STILL there! And I've got more power than your friend has too (675hp)---and I am quite confident that my boat is heavier than his as well! Let me tell you, breaking into the 90's is no duck walk. That's where the men start separating from the boys and I STILL haven't broken into the 90's yet----so what's that tell ya?

I'm not an expert, but can only tell you of my experiences with my own 1990 32' A/T. I'm a 46 year old kid who's still standing at the drawing board---but I guess I'm at least I'm having some fun while I'm doing it.

Last edited by KAAMA; 10-23-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered

I spoke 2 days ago with a very nice guy that now has the 32 jesse james boat. He is running 90 with 600hp. He has convinced me that my next boat will be a AT.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:28 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jryan26
He has convinced me that my next boat will be a AT.
You won't regret it!!

Quick Reply: 32 with extension boxes, anyone have experience?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.