Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > American Offshore
Big Questions about American Offshore. HELP! >

Big Questions about American Offshore. HELP!

Notices

Big Questions about American Offshore. HELP!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Questions about American Offshore. HELP!

Gentlemen Im looking real hard at buying a new American Offshore and I have a few questions about the boat in general. Are they a well built boat?? What is one of the common problems to look out for when buying and American? Anhttp://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2013_liquid_glass_modified_by_american_offshore-o58026-en.html
anyone know this boat?? Anyone know anything about the owner of this boat?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Like I said trying to make a good decision on buying this boat or buying another boat. Do you think I will like this boat?? Please let me know.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o58026-en.html
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Registered

Sorry the link did not take on the first message. This is the boat that I'm looking for info on. Anyone know this boat?? Any info would be appreciated both good or bad.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I dont think your going to find a whole lot of usefull info on that particular cat. Will probably get some opinions though.

History as I know it from various posts here and there:

Guy who had/built profiles started new company liguid glass, made I believe 2 boats and went belly up. both boats bounced around thru various auctions/ dealers but I don't believe either actually sold to a "customer" . I have no idea what OE did to the particular one your looking at but I believe it initially had bigger power and different drives.

Thats all I got..... that boat is a 2008 not 2013..........

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...t-boat-auction

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...ck-up-for-sale

Last edited by phragle; 07-22-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Registered

Thank You for the input. The story I got was there were 6 boats and that one is hull number 4. Not sure I like the power in it. It has some sort of turbo super charger on it. I haven't seen many of these and I'm not sure it has proven its selves in the marine performance application. You know anything about those motors at all?? Or ever seen any like it? Would buy the boat if you were in the market for one? If not why?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

the superchargers are Vortec centrifugal superchargers and the air box and intercooler is made by R Tech and very reliable. There are no turbochargers. this boat was sold at the bank( bank lent Liquid glass $750000.00 for this boat) auction by USA auctioneers on July 26 2012 as a 2012 model. We got the boat less engines and drives in August 2013 and were informed by the US Coast Guard that since we were making modifications to the hull and rigging we are responsible for this boat and we had to sell it as American Offshore and use the date of purchase as the year built. It is not the 2008 boat that was tested by Hot Boat and Power boat . the paint job is similar but there a few decernable differences.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is a lot of confusion and totally false statements going around about this boat specifically on the forum midwestboatpaty.com.

first) this is definitely not the 2008 boat tested by powerboat and hot boat magazine.

second) this boat was never sold to a private party until it was sold by US Auctioneers for $289600.00.on July 26,2012

third) it was put as colateral for a bank loan of $750000.00 by Liquid Glass and sold by the bank when Liquid Glass defaulted on their loan and filed bankruptcy. The list price for the other 41 ft Liquid Glass boats like this one was $750000.00

Forth) American offshore bought the bare hull with interior in August of 2013.
I personally talked to Bob Teague and Jacon Johnson of Powerboat who tested the 2008 boat and was told exactly what the handling problems with that boat were and we assumed that this boat would have the same problems.

fifth) we thoroughly inspected the hull and confirmed that it was a very good quaility construction. It was obvious to me after this inspection what had caused the handling problems with the 2008 boat and I knew that I could fix it.

We worked on this boat until June of 2014 and have tested it a number of times and can confirm it is now a very good handling boat.

sixth) I have owned American Offshore since 1998 and have designed many of our boats myself and modified the molds for other boats that we purchased. I also built most of the supercharged engines installed in American Offshore boats since 1998. I have driven more Cats than most of you out there and know how to correct most handling problems.

seventh) the Coast Guard told us that since we rigged the boat and modified the hull we were responsible for it and that we had to sell it as an American offshore with the date of purchase as the year of manufacture. Hence you are buying a 2013 American Offshore and not a Liquid Glass.

Finally) Do not judge this boat by rumors that you have heard. judge it only after you have inspected it ans test driven it by yourself or someone you can trust. It is a very nice well handling boat that is capable of speeds over 100 MPH and well worth the asking price.