Exhaust pipe question >

Exhaust pipe question

Notices

Exhaust pipe question

Old 05-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust pipe question

Okay so when I ran the boat on the hose, I saw water dribbling out of the exhaust pipe where it meets the header collector. I pulled the muffler off, and yanked the pipe, Pressure tested it with the air compressor hose and a water spray bottle, now these pipes are dry hehehe, But with that its a pipe in a pipe, the front has a rolled edge and the internal pipe meets it and it is NOT welded that I can see all the way around on the inside edge. I got water out of the seam so im thinking I want to Tig or stick weld this thing back together, Is this the correct thing to do to seal up the inner pipe to the outer pipe with its rolled edge? Or should I just use some sort of high temp silicone like what the pipes were seamed with? At bare minimum I would want to use some sort of more permanent fix rather than something that could let go later on. Meaning I want to weld these together permanently. I dont think Silicone will last or some sort of JB plastic weld whatever it is stuff. Im old school with this stuff, I want to weld it but is that the right thing to do or is this supposed to be this way? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!!! Still messing with the indicator cables, replacing them all since they are all rotted and split, This exhaust problem and im going to go over all the lighting and safety stuff if I get boarded by the coast guard so I know everything is working and I wont have any problems. Also have to clean out the sea strainers, cut the aluminum floor so I can get to the sea strainers easier and then take the pressure washer to it and start cleaning it up. Im trying to get her in the water but Im taking my time with these repairs making sure everything is perfect before I go. Trust me im DYING to get it out in the water but safety is my first concern.
J
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust pipe question

Have it Tigged, don't use a stick, the Stailess will rust!

I wouldn't use any of the other stuff like JB Weld, Silocon, epoxy either. You need the tailpipe to be able to hold water pressure, I would only have it welded.

A bad tailpipe will ruin your day really fast when you drop an exhaust valve.

Last edited by Panther; 05-25-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Registered

Right, Which is why im taking my time with this thing and not just being careless and dropping it in the water and saying WOOHOO lets go.
Crap, now I dont have a TIG welder at home so ill have to find some place that can do this for me.
GRRRRRRRR
Thanks man, Appreciate it. Oh and welding sticks you can get stainless for brazing and stick welding but I think Tig with a nice beat that I can grind down would be my best bet.
Thanks
J
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered

Okay Pipe is going to the local welding shop to be tigged and pressure tested tonight at 615 PM!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't weld the inner pipe to the outer. The inner pipe expands more than the outer pipe due to a higher temperature. Give Stellings a call at 209-485-9394. They are very helpful. Eric.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jayl13
Okay Pipe is going to the local welding shop to be tigged and pressure tested tonight at 615 PM!
the ends are not welded on some tailpips dont weld them
Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Papache
the ends are not welded on some tailpips dont weld them
Hmm, never saw that before. I've only seen the ends not welded near the end of the pipe, not up by the collar.

Do they press fit the pipe so they don't leak?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered

Talked to Stellings yesterday, they said weld it with stainless steel, and then pressure test it.
Said to them okay no problem.