Notices

Apache vs Pantera Ride

Old 09-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Re: Apache vs Pantera Ride

Air

Nothing rides like a 30/31 Sutphen in the size range......You have to run one to understand
Attached Thumbnails Apache vs Pantera Ride-greatadventuresutphen.jpg  

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 09-20-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Storm had it right. I didn't mean to mis lead anyone. There was an area with what definately looked like 6-8 foot waves (not swells) The sea was semi ruff to begin with with confused water. You would be running along and run accross drop offs and rogue type swells. As the tide was rolling in the south inlet to the island had monster waves in the beginning of the channel. Regardless of wave size and any other issue We were flying off the top of them at 40+ mph and were seeing major air we counted to 3 plus seconds of air time. Our stomachs would flip flop.

I just thought I would add to this thread buy telling you the the Pantera flew straight landed soft and really blew my mind in its ability to handle what was asked of it.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcei
Storm had it right. I didn't mean to mis lead anyone. There was an area with what definately looked like 6-8 foot waves (not swells) The sea was semi ruff to begin with with confused water. You would be running along and run accross drop offs and rogue type swells. As the tide was rolling in the south inlet to the island had monster waves in the beginning of the channel. Regardless of wave size and any other issue We were flying off the top of them at 40+ mph and were seeing major air we counted to 3 plus seconds of air time. Our stomachs would flip flop.

I just thought I would add to this thread buy telling you the the Pantera flew straight landed soft and really blew my mind in its ability to handle what was asked of it.
I believe that you love your boat and you were getting some good air but I boat in Grand Haven, MI and I know for a fact that in a 28 boat you will die going straight into a 6 to 8 ft wave not a swell. Your boat is not long enough and you would get swallowed by every wave.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Registered

the Ettore boat looks like 10-15' of air. what do you guys think?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HIMES(JAIME)
the Ettore boat looks like 10-15' of air. what do you guys think?

That's what I was thinking - at the transom.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Registered

This is a fun thread to read cause everyone boats in different waves. 8 foot waves are different in the pacific, atlantic and lake michigan. an eight foot wave on lake michigan will break on the deck of a 28 before you could even get out the channel. The swell distance between waves is really the factor that decides wether or not you could even get out to run. A wave this size is big anywhere but very tough to boat on the great lakes. They have cancelled offshore races in Grand Haven several times over the years and they were not anywhere near 8 feet.
Donz, have you ever ridden in a 28 saber, apache 28. or a 28 Cig? To declare pantera the best without riding in the others also doesn't seem like a fair comparison. I have yet to hear from anyone on the board who has ridden in any of the four in rough water say they ride bad. They all have great reputations. It would be cool to have all four side by side with twin 500's and find different waves and turn them loose. Ny suspicion is that it would come down to driver skill and ball size. NK
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

HIMES(JAIME) the Ettore boat looks like 10-15' of air. what do you guys think?
Today 06:15 PM
If that's correct then I'm wrong. We were thinking the prop was 5-7 feet out.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to debate over how big the water is here or there. There were several other boats in that run, I was not the only boat to say it was rough. My point was, no 28' boat will be fun in 6-8's. I was told that was 4-5's and you can see how much air we got.(we are flying very level so I doubt we trimmed it up to get air for the pic) Like I said in my first post, all three boats are sweet and there is no way we would know which one is better in the rough unless your name is Nunez/Saccenti etc....
Old 09-21-2006, 08:20 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Waves are different in different areas.
The LI sound the waves have a short wavelenth, there are no swells.
This seems similar to the Great Lakes.
The western LI sound where I boat the waves are wind driven.
In the Atlantic, there is a ground swell, which can be 2-4ft easy, with the water like glass... no wind, no waves on top.

In these pictures you can clearly see waves.
Attached Thumbnails Apache vs Pantera Ride-qu0c9052.jpg   Apache vs Pantera Ride-qu0c9071.jpg