Restoration of McManus Apache 42 OFF DUTY >

Restoration of McManus Apache 42 OFF DUTY

Notices

Restoration of McManus Apache 42 OFF DUTY

Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

Way cool Tom! Keep the pix coming. I've been wondering what 'project' you've been referring to recently. Looking forward to seeing an Apache in the FMO fleet!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the boat had some kind of hamack that could be set up on the stern!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 38scarab
you gonna leave that muffler ?
No, I have removed the muffler in favor of traditional air activated ones.

I have the Powerboat Magazine with the boat on the cover. I also have the corresponding Auto Trend version with the same story.

There was a hammock. If you turned the dive ladder upside down and reinserted it into it's slot, it stood upright at an angle away from the swim platform. There was a corresponding stainless steel upright on the other side of the swim platform that allowed you to hang the hammock between them. Unfortunately, I do not have the stainless steel pieces. So, no hammock!

More pictures coming in the next few days.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no.. no hammock! Interesting paint job.. Tom thank you for sharing and keep us posted
Old 06-24-2007, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

I was intrigued by the idea of a hammock on a boat years ago. It suited my style- in those days I would spend days at a time on board and wanted a comfortable way to 'hang out'... I had an idea to fabricate a couple of alum posts with a ring on the end... one to fit in a rod holder and the other would clamp against the corner of the windshield frame. When the guys at the marina saw this they started calling me Gilligan.

Never carried through on it tho... I moved to sw Florida shortly after this picture was taken and subsequently lost the boat in Hurricane Charley. I still have the hammock.
Attached Thumbnails Restoration of McManus Apache 42 OFF DUTY-hammocktest.jpg  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First time I met the former owner was on the innaugural Georgian Bay poker run in 93 or 94. He was hanging in the hammock at the lunch stop. Of 16 boats that actually had the nuts or were nuts and left Grand Bend headed north that day, he was one of the 6 of us that actually made the lunch stop. I can remember looking to my left for mile after mile and watching that boat launch and fly. It sure was a wild looking rig for its time. The dash panels were all the talk that day.

Good luck with her. Its such a cool and historical boat.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So who owned the boat?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Tom are you going to restore the boat to its original paint/design or restore it to your own design?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Tom are you going to restore the boat to its original paint/design or restore it to your own design?
As an acknowledgement of the historical significance of the boat and the hours that went into the paint work, I am keeping the paint scheme. I am updating the cockpit and engine compartment.

With the goals of the project being 1. Safety, 2. Reliability, and 3. Performance, alot of my restoration dollars have gone to items like replacing control cables, new steering, new fuel system, new electrical system, and other items that affect the ability to get my family back to the dock. As you might imagine, engines and drives eat up an awful lot of the budget as well.

T
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (08-22-2021)
Old 06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran in a poker run that this boat attended with its original owner "Fred Kiekafer Jr"

He said "you have to be confident in your equiptment to paint your drives the color of lemons" LOL

Is a great boat

Good luck with the new ride
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (08-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Restoration of McManus Apache 42 OFF DUTY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.