41 Apache Warrior

Notices

41 Apache Warrior

Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by John.Vaught
I like that old boat, do you think they would deal on it any?.
only silly question is the one not asked, call em up!
Old 12-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

If you like the boat have Ed Cozzi do a complete survey on the boat, and have him do a leak down on the motors. He is very good and know what he is doing, he also a member here on this site, so you should be able to just PM him. Good luck, you can't beat the ride of a 41, unless you can do a 47.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John.Vaught
I'm glad that hull is dry, if it wasn't that would be a crying shame. I like that old boat, do you think they would deal on it any?

Does that boat have an enclosed head? Is there anything I should know about an on board crapper, I have never had one before.

John,

Based on what you and I chatted about, it probably wouldn't be a great choice considering your needs. You could probably get it at a good price but it's going to need some work before it sees water- even if as Panther says, all the stuff is there on it. At a bare minimum it's going to need a going-through on all the systems to make sure everything is in order. It's been sitting for a while and that can be worse than running them hard. If you're looking to buy something and start using it right away, this probably isn't going to be that boat. There's nothing better than an Apache for style or capability but a boat like this takes ALOT more effort than a 36 to 38 foot one. I know it only seems like it's 3' longer than something like a Topgun but that's merely an illusion. Everything from docks to racks to towing presents greater challenges. Then you're dealing with an outdrive that's got limited parts availability and is hideously expensive to repair, but not capable of absorbing the horsepower necessary to get this boat over 70 mph.

There is a head up forward in the v-berth. Cabin is stand-up only if you're 9 years old.

If you've got the Apache bug and understand going in what you're going to be confronted with, this is an opportunity- There aren't many Apache project boats out there anymore and way fewer short-stagger. But, if you want to come home, tidy a boat up and head out for a trouble-free summer on the water with your family, this ain't the one.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UNCLEJOBIN
The hull is dry!
Steve, the owner?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
even if as Panther says, all the stuff is there on it. .
Just so others don't think I'm cheerleading, here's my PM message to John;

Originally Posted by Panther
John,

If I were to buy the boat here is what I would do;

1. Re-wire the boat.
2. New guages and dash panels.
3. Remove the Radar Arch.
4. remove and have all railings, vents and louvers re-powdercoated.
5. Leak down and compression test on the engines.
6. Pressure check the drives and remove access covers to check the running gear for wear.

With that being said.... The engines make about 750 hp a piece, they are 572 bowtie chevy engines with Dart Aluminum heads. the heads were replaced recently with all new valvetrain etc. I believe Dollar Offshore did the work, I can confirm this with the receipts that my friend Bill has. Bill was very good friends with Steve the old owner and knew him since he was 15 years old.

I have been on, in and around that boat since around 1995 and since 1995 I know the engines have been rebuilt at least twice and the drives also services at minimum twice.

Word of warning though... If you expect to buy the boat and run it for the next two years maintanence free I would suggest buying a newer boat with stock power. The boat is very heavy and requires a lot of power to move it. You have to have a constant maintenance program with the boat, it will never be a turn key boat.

I used to be a mechanic and did a little work on this boat and many other boats in the area. It's a huge commitment and if you know what to expect that is fine but if not it'll be a huge mistake. If I didn't know how to do all the work on my apache on my own I probably couldn't afford to own it.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Frank
Old 12-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Just so others don't think I'm cheerleading, here's my PM message to John;
No doubt- you've been very clear, helpful & forthcoming about the boat. Like I said, had I known, I would have bought it. I'd love to have the short stagger.

Your PM to him is funny- virtually identical to mine.

even if as Panther says, all the stuff is there on it. .
I mistakenly typed "if" into that sentence. When reading it one my think I was questioning your assertions and the info you provided. Not the case or my intention at at all. Sorry!

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 12-02-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Sorry!
It's all good...we have an inch of snow on the ground here today....

I just got in from pumping some of the remaining gasoline from the Apache into my wifes truck and the Suburban! Nothin beats free gas!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panther (Frank) whatever happened to RED ,Apache Steves first mate .There was not a drinking establishment on the JERSEY SHORE those two characters did not hit (or get thrown out of)
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The website that has this Apache for sale also has "Ruthless" listed. I believe that boat has been up by us in Spring Lake for two seasons now at my friends shop. Sounds like its time for a little updating on the website!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have caught a bad case of Apache, I don't really care if I have to work on it before I use it.

But as someone stated I don't want to not be able to float the boat and take the girls out once or twice before I start work on it that would raise my wifes morale and get me the support I need, the biggest boat she's ever been in is 22' and she loves it but is a little scared of it.

Skimming the water on 12" of boat and one lower unit is a handful for me and she can see that in my eyes.

I think if she ever gets a taste of that rumble and looks down that long deck she will be hooked just like me.

Hey are number three's really that weak?
I thought they were stronger that TRS drives.

I actually planned on detuning the engines and putting a single carb on them. My Dad is a magician with mouse and rat motors.

Quick Reply: 41 Apache Warrior

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.