SIB to Bimini Race !! Whos In ?

Notices

SIB to Bimini Race !! Whos In ?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SIB to Bimini Race !! Whos In ?

Remembering Don Aronow in Sunny Isles Beach

The next stop on the OSS tour is in South Florida where Sunny Isles Beach will present the Offshore Powerboat Challenge Weekend. This event promises to be a mega event where performance boating groups come together in order to turn Haulover Park and Sunny Isles Beach into a High Performance Boating Paradise.

On June 19 - 22, the Offshore Super Series will welcome the Historic Offshore Boat Racing Association (HORBA) and the Florida Powerboat Club to share the facilities at Haulover Park, and coordinate the weekend's events. OSS is also welcoming the APBA Class Super Light Tunnel class boats that will run several demonstration races throughout the weekend.

What started as a simple boat race has turned into a "cause" that's attracted performance boaters from all segments of the sport. At this race performance boaters will pay tribute to Don Aronow, his memory, his boats and the legacy that he left behind.

In Don's honor, HORBA will be staging a race to Bimini and back, the way Don and his competitors of the time did it out of the same Haulover Inlet. Open ocean all the way out of the sight of land, just man, machine and the ocean.

This race site has also turned into a good excuse for racers from the 60s and 70s to converge on Sunny Isles Beach and hold a reunion party. The whole HORBA club will be in attendance and welcome race fans and swap a few stories and a few beers. Expect to see some of your old heroes in the Race Village at Haulover Park throughout the weekend.

The Florida Powerboat Club is the driving force of performance boating in Florida and has built a reputation of providing first class poker run fun. The very first Poker Run that Stu Jones produced was out of Sunny Isles Marina near Haulover Inlet and Stu feels a personal attraction to this sight and has decided to join the fun and hold a Poker Run on Saturday and then enjoy the OSS racing action on Sunday.

Our race producers, Susan Simpson, Larry Goldman and Brad Schoenwald have spent many months working out all the details and continue to find ways to make this weekend adventure even more exciting and entertaining for all involved.

If you've never attended a boat race before, this will be the one you'll want to experience. If you've been to many boat races, you won't want to miss this mega event.

Offshore Powerboat Challenge Weekend
Thurs - Race Village Opens - Bimini Race Registration
Friday - HORBA -Don Aronow Memorial Offshore Ocean Race
Friday Night - Get together with veteran racers - Race Village Party with Band
Saturday – Thunderboat Rally Poker Run - OSS Testing - SLT Races
Sunday - OSS Racing - SLT Races
Sunday Night - Awards

For more information about these events visit www.offshoresuperseries.com, www.historicraceboats.com and www.flpowerboat.com or call 732-552-0669.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 05-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

APACHE owners !!! Step up asap !! The Ocean race of the year is coming quick !
This is your racing water !Have a blast and be a part of the next part of History in the making ...
Old 05-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Registered

I sure wish i had my old 47 APACHE now !! The "TWEET REVENGE " would be my 1st. pick for this one !!!15 years has gone very quick .
Old 05-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered

Not even one APACHE !!!How can we runa great race thru the ocean without any APACHES ! This will be a major insult to the offshore community .Someone needs to run a APACHE just for the nostolgia !!
Just a few weeks to the start !Friday June 20th 2008 RACE DAY !
Old 05-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremePowerboats.com
I sure wish i had my old 47 APACHE now !! The "TWEET REVENGE " would be my 1st. pick for this one !!!15 years has gone very quick .

It's for sale. It's not to late

Mark
Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Yeah ! I think he may be asking more today than I even sold it for over 14 years ago !Tweet Revenge has sucked up well over 2 MILLION since it was built in 1992 !But it was always one H-ll of a boat !It was the best rough water boat that I ever raced !
Larry

Last edited by XtremePowerboats.com; 06-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah ! I think he may be asking more today than I even sold it for over 14 years ago !Tweet Revenge has sucked up well over 2 MILLION since it was built in 1992 !But it was always one H-ll of a boat !It was the best rough water boat that I ever raced !
Larry
Larry
Is there going to be any rough water that time of the year? Or is it usually calm?
Thanks
Ed
Old 06-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Ed,
Great question !The seas in summer are Usually calm,but with a slight change of wind or an afternoon storm rolling in ANYTHING can happen !
Last year in mid-summer I took several MTI's from Ft.Lauderdale to Freeport Bahamas.It is almost 90miles and we left in rough seas for the 1st half ,then it flattened out and we ran over 100mph to the west end ! The vee bottoms left later that day and got pounded all the way to the west end.
Yesterday ,I ran out over 25 miles in my Donzi with triple 250's @ 40 knots without touching the throttles.The water was lumpy and it called for seas 2-3,with the wind ESE 5-10 knots !
This was pefect water for some great air shots but still good water to race in at high speeds .
Basically in Florida if you don't like the weather ,Wait 5 minutes and it will CHANGE !
Old 06-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed,
Great question !The seas in summer are Usually calm,but with a slight change of wind or an afternoon storm rolling in ANYTHING can happen !
Last year in mid-summer I took several MTI's from Ft.Lauderdale to Freeport Bahamas.It is almost 90miles and we left in rough seas for the 1st half ,then it flattened out and we ran over 100mph to the west end ! The vee bottoms left later that day and got pounded all the way to the west end.
Yesterday ,I ran out over 25 miles in my Donzi with triple 250's @ 40 knots without touching the throttles.The water was lumpy and it called for seas 2-3,with the wind ESE 5-10 knots !
This was pefect water for some great air shots but still good water to race in at high speeds .
Basically in Florida if you don't like the weather ,Wait 5 minutes and it will CHANGE !
Larry
Thanks for the response. Let me check my mega-millions tickets so I can bring the 47 Apache "Patriot" and the 46 Skater "Recovery" to the race. One or both should do well! LOL!
Ed

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 06-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

COME ON WHERE ARE ALL THOSE TUFF GUY'S THAT OWN APACHE'S . . . THERE ARE A FEW THAT LIVE DOWN SOUTH HERE AND HAVE THERE BOAT'S VERY CLOSE TO THE WATER .. BUT THEY DONT POST ?

Quick Reply: SIB to Bimini Race !! Whos In ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.