28 Brave OSO Project >

28 Brave OSO Project

Notices

28 Brave OSO Project

Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Andy, don't just paint the drives. Take them off and have them gone through.
What cosmetically are you thinking about?
A pair of new 496mags HO's should get you moving 70+ and be very reliable. You may find some some dealer on this site looking to make a deal, or some low hr take outs.
Aren't they like 14k new drop in?
Also, if you want to upgrade, you can do a raylar job.
Yep, I probobly should go through the drives, but they've seen a lot of salt. We went through them over the spring and didn't see anything. I'm not puting in big power, so they should be fine, but I will listen to the arguments. They don't have a lot of hours. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. If they do break, then I'll buy a new set of outdrives. I researched the topic and alot of people say the rebuild cost almost as much to replace..........doesn't make sense to me, but I'm willing to listen.

Cosmetics - the whole top deck needs to get restored. Lots of cracks around the fairing, alot like Bills. I will probobly get to that this time next year. Transom & bilge I already talked about. Interior needs a new wrap and new floor/carpet, but not on my short list. Cabin is fine, maybe do some new lighting in there. Dash is in great shape. I will add a couple of new gaugues. The paint job will stay, hull is still in great shape, minus some areas around the bow where it looks like the anchor bounced around in the anchor hatch. Cheap repair was done and its now spider cracking on the outside.

I like the 496HO's because there reliable and its new merc power with a warranty. Your pricing is about right. I'm not sold on any of that raylar stuff. I'd rather have a 502. I'm on the fence over a mild Chief 415hp 502 by Chief or a 496HO. I got some great pricing on some 502 long blocks with heads, but I'd still have to get the intake manifolds and new exhaust. Either way I've got a lots of time to think about it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Here's an idea, 383's 425 HP and 450 FPT fresh small blocks for less than $16,500 a pair. About the same price as one 496. Plus 2 Bravo drives & gimbals thrown in.

Check out the parts list!
Callies race master cranks, Eagle H beam rods with upgraded Arp bolts. Speed Pro pistons, balanced rotating assembly. C/C. cams. Hardened pushrods, double roll timing chains & gears, S/S roller rockers, ARP Rocher arm studs, New Brodix Heads, Ferria super alloy ex. Valves, Ferria Intake valves, Holley H.P carbs, Crane ignition boxes, 7 qt pans with scappers.

Oah!!!, nice pics. Thanks for the find. I got to tell you though. After my last engine woes I don't want to see any aluminum. Also not a fan of 425hp out of 383ci. I know some have protective coatings and some don't. Even if it did have protective coating it doesn't sound like the best idea, only a matter of time before the coating breaks down. But I'm not an engine guru so you guys lay it on me. Aluminum vs cast iron. I'm looking for 500+hrs and less than 500hp and I'm not going to flush the engines. In a perfect world I'd buy some new 502 415MAGS.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 151 Likes on 18 Posts

andy,

i love your 28 and will help in any way i can with the restore project. i will be down this weekend and would like to check it out if you are going to be around?

andy
Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered

Sorry Andy, I'm going to have to work this weekend. I was lucky enough to get off for the game because I'm an OU alum. I would greatly appreciate any help and Im looking forward to some good times. I'll be bouncing off ideas on you, Matt, and Collin - he seems to be a little bored now that his project is done You, Matt, and Collin did a lot to inspire this project. Keep me posted next time you can make it down. If you guys really want to roll up the sleeves I could put you up for a night or two.......and pay for all the beer
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

Do you guys know if I can bring back the shine in the external hydraulic steering? One guy told me to use some sort of toilet bowl cleaner, but I forget what it was called. I didn't think the shine could be brought back. I need to add some bling to the transom.

I'd also like to get some more feedback on rebuilding the outdrives. If anybody has rebuilt the outdrives would you do it again or just buy some new ones. I'm thinking if the drives need to be rebuilt after 230 hours, then I don't really want them back on the boat.

Couple of pics when it was on the Chesapeake Bay

The boat needs a name.
Attached Thumbnails 28 Brave OSO Project-18918_1-large-.jpg   28 Brave OSO Project-18918_2-large-.jpg   28 Brave OSO Project-18918_3-large-.jpg  

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 10-08-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered

Couple more when it was in Maryland.

You can see the old Merc racing shifters have seen better days. I'll replace those. The starboard side likes to stick sometimes. Sometimes I have to shift reverse first in order to get it to engage forward. Not sure if a new shifter would fix that or if the problem is somewhere else.

I think a new wrap can wait.
Attached Thumbnails 28 Brave OSO Project-18918_4.jpg   28 Brave OSO Project-18918_5-large-.jpg   28 Brave OSO Project-18918_6.jpg  

Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I got four weekends out of her, one gave......you know the rest. I've decided to repower it which will hopefully be the right way to get 10+ reliable years out of her. The heads and intake are both corroded and need to be replaced. Its got two 850 holleys, stainless marine exhaust, not sure on the heads or intake. Bottom is whats left of a Merc 454 365hp. They dynoed 460hp. I want new engines full dress, but would like to hear opinions on why I should build up what I've got or not. For me its a long-term cost thing. I want to drive this boat for 10-20 years. The estimates I got were a little less than some new full dress engines and I can't really justify spending half the cost of a new one to fix up an old one. I'm not really looking for speed. 70mph would be good, I know it went 67 with the stock 365hp. Just want something reliable so I can stay out on the water.

The 4 weekends I got out of her.
Get some actual pricing on rebuilding them. It shouldnt be anywhere near the cost of new fully dressed. Save the difference for cosmetic stuff. Whatever you budget will be under by at least 30%. Take the exhaust tips out and check for rot and delamination. I almost bought your boat a few years back before CFD5 got it......

Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered

Last for now. The cabin has as much headroom as most 35ft+ boats do. Porta potti hatch needs some new latches.
Attached Thumbnails 28 Brave OSO Project-18918_7.jpg   28 Brave OSO Project-18918_8.jpg   28 Brave OSO Project-18918_9.jpg  

Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve_H
Get some actual pricing on rebuilding them. It shouldnt be anywhere near the cost of new fully dressed. Save the difference for cosmetic stuff. Whatever you budget will be under by at least 30%. Take the exhaust tips out and check for rot and delamination. I almost bought your boat a few years back before CFD5 got it......
Thanks for posting Steve. You've done some great work on some of your boats and I value your opinion especially your budget minded taste. CFD5 was a lot of help and very nice guy. Both the engines are out, the autopsy revealed corroded heads & intake. Rebuild was priced at $8-9K each, which includes new heads and intake, backed up with a local warranty. Derebery quoted me 3-4K for rebuild without looking and with out new heads/intake so I think thats a pretty good number. Another quote was $10k total rebuilt with new heads and installed. Derebery has stock Merc replacements for close to the same price. Check it out - http://www.dereberyperformancemarine...k_Engines.html. Govictorymarine priced their 496's on Ebay for $10K http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Pa...id=p4506.c0.m1 I think both builders start out with new long blocks and add slightly used intake systems.

Exhaust tips will be replaced. I was going to strip everything off the transome, check for rot, and seal it up tight. Do you think thats a good idea or is that a little overkill. I saw the inside of the transom after the engines were removed and it looks prettry good. I'd like to do that first because if I find any suprises it will significantly change my budget.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 10-08-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Registered

Cfd5
Attached Thumbnails 28 Brave OSO Project-faracing640.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 28 Brave OSO Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.