28 Apache bulkheads >

28 Apache bulkheads

Notices

28 Apache bulkheads

Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ar15meister
I have been thinking about this termite thing and it is bugging me.

I dont understand why you would even keep the converstaion going with the guy selling the boat once you discovered there was this type of issue. There is likely alot more than that.

I am telling you, you like Panteras, why not make an offer on Dude Sweet's boat and put an engine in it and have some fun?

Or Elite marine's boat?

Dont buy a beat up 28 Apache and have to dump a ton of money and TIME into it (I nearly did, so happy I didnt)....the only 28's I would touch were Bills (once he was done with it) but that is sold. Also the 28 Cherokee 3 man race boat with the single was sick, but I never saw it in person nor do I have intimate knowledge of it. The 28 swneedle has doesnt have cracked knees and it looks nice from pics but, again, I dont have intimate knowledge nor have I seen it. I was also told that the engines have approximately 300hrs on them when I inquired about the boat. I would definately get a leakdown on them.

I had my Pantera get a full survey as well as had a serious engine builder perform a leakdown test and a compression test. It passed with flying colours (8% was the worst leakage I got). I wrote a cheque (canadian for Check)

Anyhow, good luck.

Adam
It is sweeter in person than in pics. It is "diamond plate bilge worthy, matching paint tow vehicle worthy, people take pictures at the gas dock, boat is a rock star," sweet.

Looking forward to taking it the rest of the way to the end zone.

End hijack.... For this buyer...I like the Pantera too. I don't like the crusty butt boats. Too much hassle. But maybe that comes from taking two years off as a boat owner and losing a lifetime of experience.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

That 28 ar15meister posted pics of was in an accident. I don't care what kind of boat you have if you run it into the ground its going to show. You will be very lucky to find any apache that is in mint condition, not so much for other brands. There is a reason for that.

Not really fair to compare that old resin bucket to a new 28 pantera. Pantera has come a long way, but if you want to compare newer model pantera's with newer apache's you might want to start with this 28 with twin diesels and pull out swim platform.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
That 28 ar15meister posted pics of was in an accident. I don't care what kind of boat you have if you run it into the ground its going to show. You will be very lucky to find any apache that is in mint condition, not so much for other brands. There is a reason for that.

Not really fair to compare that old resin bucket to a new 28 pantera. Pantera has come a long way, but if you want to compare newer model pantera's with newer apache's you might want to start with this 28 with twin diesels and pull out swim platform.
Noone was comparing the two boats.

It just seems to me that for a budget minded buyer buying a single engine, newer boat is better than buying an old one cheap, having it blow up and then not having any boat at all cause you cant afford to fix it. I went over this 1000 times in my own head when I boyught my boat.

If mine blew up tomorrow I could repower. My z06 blew up and I bought a new crate motor and got her going again. I could have bought a Testarossa for the same money as the Z06 but ...go price a Testarossa motor.....

Last edited by ar15meister; 11-24-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Registered

Not everybody has the luxury of buying a new boat. I went over the same thing in my head. I found that it cost just as much to replace two mercury stock engines than to buy one 710hp reliable motor, same with rebuilds. Engines blow up on newer boats all the time. In theory twin stock low hp engines should last much longer than a big hp engine.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

Not everybody has the luxury of buying a new boat. I went over the same thing in my head. I found that it cost just as much to replace two mercury stock engines than to buy one 710hp reliable motor, same with rebuilds. Engines blow up on newer boats all the time. In theory twin stock low hp engines should last much longer than a big hp engine.
Stock power like 454 Mercs arent going to get you the same performance as a built 710 hp.

At least compare apples to apples.

You will need 600 per side in my estimation to run 85mph in a 28 Apache. I rode in one with 650 per side and (although the owner proved himself to be full of **** on other things) the guy told me the best he had ever seen was 86-87mph. I have seen 81.6 in my Pantera and I barely know how to drive it. JO has told me it should run 85-86 with a worked prop and lighter fuel/passenger loads. I havent bothered to try yet.

A pantera with 550-650hp in a bult engine would be a more appropriate comparison. At this point the cost is quite different between a single and twin 'stock' merc's like 454's or 496's. Add to that the ease and cost of maintenance as well as having one less drive to worry about and you can see my point about the budget minded boater.

Big boat might now even care about going fast, in which case a single 500hp Merc blue motor would do the trick nicely. There was a guy selling a boat with a single 'wroked' 500EFI and an XR a while ago who I spoke with. He was asking 42k. Nice boat.....

Tex, single stock power is also an option you forgot to consider.....Sure my motor might not be the right fit for him, but my boat is a race boat. It isnt for everyone.

If my numbers are all wrong someone correct me but I think I am damn close.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered

A pantera with 550-650hp in a bult engine would be a more appropriate comparison. At this point the cost is quite different between a single and twin 'stock' merc's like 454's or 496's. Add to that the ease and cost of maintenance as well as having one less drive to worry about and you can see my point about the budget minded boater.

Tex, single stock power is also an option you forgot to consider.....Sure my motor might not be the right fit for him, but my boat is a race boat. It isnt for everyone.

If my numbers are all wrong someone correct me but I think I am damn close.
I see where your getting at, but again - to compare the numbers you see with a light race layup is not a fair comparison to an old pleasure built 28 apache . I've never even seen any numbers of what a race layup 28 pantera will run with twin stock power. Single stock power is not an option on 28 apaches......and not a very good option on any 28......or atleast for me. I load my boat up 6-7 people easy. My 24ft boat with stock power had a hard enough time getting on plane - I couldn't imagine doing it on a 28ft with the same power.

I've seen pleasure 28 pantera's set up with a single 500EFI run about the same with twin stock 6.2 mercs. That 500EFI is going to cost about the same if not more than two 6.2's and the 6.2's will last A LOT longer, be easier on gas, and much easier on the outdrives. For a pantera - if you want to go 85+ I agree go with the single race boat layup. If you just want to hit 70 - go with the twin small blocks.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

That swim platform is fully hydraulic. This boat had T/Yanmar 6LP's, AC and a generator and weighed 6800 pounds.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Registered

[IMG][/IMG]
These "knees" are not structural in nature, simply panel stiffeners. In the older boats these stiffeners did not go through the bulkhead. In the newer models they terminated on the bow side of the engine compartment bulkhead. This prevented the seperation you see in the pictures in post #34 & 35.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Ttt

Quick Reply: 28 Apache bulkheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.