A few Scout questions

Notices

A few Scout questions

Old 09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Scout questions

Anyone know of a Scout for sale... I know of a few for sale but I want to keep my options open.

I'm debating picking one up and am looking to see what to expect... is the ride similar to a 21 Superboat or a 21 Shadow? 22 Activator?

What speeds are expected with an O/B model with say a 225 HP?
What speeds are expected with an I/O model with say a stock small block?

Differences between the years? Has the bottom stayed the same over the years? I see the design has changed above the rub rail every few years. And I see they started to hang the outboards directly on the transom in the later models when earlier ones had setback brackets.

Anyone care to chime in...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Registered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item19beebbe97
Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Registered

It was posted by Skramer a few posts down
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
Anyone know of a Scout for sale... I know of a few for sale but I want to keep my options open.

I'm debating picking one up and am looking to see what to expect... is the ride similar to a 21 Superboat or a 21 Shadow? 22 Activator?

What speeds are expected with an O/B model with say a 225 HP?
What speeds are expected with an I/O model with say a stock small block?

Differences between the years? Has the bottom stayed the same over the years? I see the design has changed above the rub rail every few years. And I see they started to hang the outboards directly on the transom in the later models when earlier ones had setback brackets.

Anyone care to chime in...
I only went out on mine 4 times before I started a bunch of fiberglass work (long story) Ask Ike I believe he had one for a while... I was happy with the ride in mine. It has a 200 merc mounted on the transom. ItsPeanut is rolling with an extension box & a 250 merc. I was just out on his. Its good riding boat. When I talked to Bobby S., He thought they road best with no set back...
Jr.

Last edited by J-Bonz; 09-09-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
JnT
Registered

Mine is an 87 with a Bbracket with around 24 inches of setback. Motor is a used 250 Yamaha that came off a big fish boat. Not the ideal setup for speed but it handles great! Boat has no tabs. No chinewalk,no porpoising, no probs anywhere from 0-60. BUT, she hits a wall at 60 due to the prop being too deep. I run a full load of fuel, 2 batteries, all gear for a day on the water,big cooler,plus the wife. I bought a jackplate 2 years ago to get the propshaft where it should be but still have not installed it. At this point I don't care about top speed just a fun boat that we enjoy. BUT we will smoke the hell out of any offshore off the line. I can hammer the throttle with the motor trimmed in and we will be in the 50's before the trim keeps up. The boat does real well in choppy conditions as well. PM your # and I'll tell you everything I know plus a few lies and stories.
Jim
Old 09-10-2010, 12:32 AM
JnT
Registered

Scout for sale.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...22-apache-3500
Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 AM
JnT
Registered

Another one.

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...che-Scout-1987
Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When Dick Genth bought half of Bob's second Apache, Apache Sport Boats, he redesigned the deck to look more like the 28 and 36's. The boat had an integrated OB well and a higher wind screen. I got the molds after Dick passed away and built a few boats. The molds were sold to Bo Renfroe at Souther Powerboats in N. Ga.

While the boat was set up for an out board we did build one for a guy in Rochester that had a custom 540 with a bravo drive. The engine hatch had to be really high and it looked out of place. In the end, the buyer had us replace the IB with an Optimax and a bracket. That boat was on ebay a year or so ago.

Last edited by MidOcean; 09-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

One by me locally with SB and Alpha SS drive and trailer. Engine was new a few years ago. Single owner boat, $10K

Mechanically teh boat is great. Needs TLC on interior and outside.

I wanted to buy it and make a mini Geronimo but the wife shot me down. It was a lil above what I'd like to pay.
Attached Thumbnails A few Scout questions-scout-1.jpg   A few Scout questions-scout-2.jpg   A few Scout questions-scout-3.jpg  

Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Panther
One by me locally with SB and Alpha SS drive and trailer. Engine was new a few years ago. Single owner boat, $10K

Mechanically teh boat is great. Needs TLC on interior and outside.

I wanted to buy it and make a mini Geronimo but the wife shot me down. It was a lil above what I'd like to pay.
Panther - Do you know the owner? His name and phone number?
Do you know of the boat personally? Is the hull solid?
Anyway you can get a pic or two of the interior?
What type of trailer? Is it in good shape?
Do you know if the color scheme on the hull is original gelcoat or is it paint?
Sorry for the ton of questions. You are right that $10K may be a little steep but it doesn't hurt to talk to the guy and see what he will take.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.