Kevalr on a scout? How to tell?

Notices

Kevalr on a scout? How to tell?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevalr on a scout? How to tell?

Anyone know if there is a way to tell if a hull is Kevlar or fiberglass?

I am going to look at a 22 scout and I know from the option sheet for a 1987 you could have had it built in kevlar. It was a $3000 option back then!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Now idea....... but post some pics when you get back....
Old 09-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sometimes it will be difficult to tell, however there are ways.
if the resin and glass work have not been painted over, you would be looking for a light yellow fiberglass lay up. Almost, in most cases the color of buttermilk. Also weight would be another way. If you have an idea of regular lay up weight (i believe the scout is 2050) and your boat is lighter that could be an example of having a lighter stronger kevlar lay up. In addition, Kevlar when exsposed with no resin will take the apperence of frayed cotten, its difficult to repair because of its tight weave; one has a hard time grinding as it seems there is no clean end in sight when working. I am sure others on the board have additional ways. I am going over a 22 scout now and finding its history. A great boat no doubt. PM me if you have any questions it would be great to hear more about the 22, can always learn more!

Best
Christian M. Del Collo
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 22 in question was rigged to be a race boat but was purchased to be a pleasure boat... knowing this is the only reason I am even asking. I figured it may have a kevlar layup as the boat was intended to be raced. I called MRD who supposedly rigged it when new and they are going to be checking to see if they can find any paperwork on the boat.