Notices

Would ASD's work on a 36' Apache?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leathl_WS6
For me I'm more concerned with setup and dialing them in. I don't doubt they will work.

If someone already did them and dialed them in, the guess work and trial and error would be gone.

I don't necessarily want to be the guinea pig. I live on Lake Erie my summers are short enough... LOL
I can understand your concerns about setup work but for the most part, the only "setup" is propeller selection as there are no "spacers" to keep trying in search of the perfect X dimension as the Arneson is trimable and you reach the proper height by the touch of the trim button.

Hering has a propeller exchange program and with a particular boats details we can both advise a pretty close propeller size to start with eliminating the guessing game.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Rik, I remember talking to you about this before.

I do think about converting to ASD's every time I have a drive problem. Which seems to be too often.

Which drive would you recommend for a 36' Apache. The bravo conversion kit the 6 I think or the 7's.

I currently run 600sc's which have been reworked, when I am done I hope to be about 750hp a side. But like anyone would like room for growth, since I'm never happy.

I
Old 12-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Thanks for the info Rik, I remember talking to you about this before.

I do think about converting to ASD's every time I have a drive problem. Which seems to be too often.

Which drive would you recommend for a 36' Apache. The bravo conversion kit the 6 I think or the 7's.

I currently run 600sc's which have been reworked, when I am done I hope to be about 750hp a side. But like anyone would like room for growth, since I'm never happy.

I
The #7M has replaced the ASD6 and they cost the same so #7M all the way.. I rate them conservatively at 850 hp.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Rik, how much lower does the engine need to be in the boat?

Apache's, unlike Cigarettes, have a stringer underneath the engine just off to the side. In most cases the stringer is notched to clear oil pans and this is with a low X dimention from the factory.

Before I raised my X 2" the oil pans had 1/2" clearance to an already notched stringer that was approx 1/2" high under the pan. http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/w...oject-X012.jpg

Last edited by Panther; 12-17-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

It really all comes down to the the engine placement or X dimension as the engines can be mounted accordingly.

The most I've seen on a V hull like this (low X dimension) is 1" but as I noted it is all about the engine placement and there are so many different placements out there.

Not dismissing the stringer but it does not serve much of a purpose being there if it was an issue.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

I'm not sure what that implies? Are you saying it can just be cut out because the drive manufacturer thinks it serves no purpose??

Some stringers are notched but they can't be removed according to the builder. This is a consideration for anyone wanting to install the product and I don't think it's something to just brush off. Not having done an install on a 36' Apache, these are the kind of things one may run into.

What engine centerline and height on a 36' Apache must be used for the Arneson system? This will easiliy answer my question and provide answers for the other members thinking of installing your product.

Last edited by Panther; 12-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about drop boxes like on the Cigarette in this thread? What about turning them in to simulate a staggered set uo in side by side applications?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Registered

Good point Panther, I'm not sure my motors would be able to be moved down any. My stringers are not notched and to get a bigger oil pan in the now I have to have one custom made. I tried to put 12 qt pans on with the new motor but they hit that stringer. I need to notch the pan to make them fit.

Rik where would the engine placement have to be?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
What about drop boxes like on the Cigarette in this thread? What about turning them in to simulate a staggered set uo in side by side applications?
That's an interesting setup on that cig. Looks like that would be the way to go.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Good point Panther, I'm not sure my motors would be able to be moved down any. My stringers are not notched and to get a bigger oil pan in the now I have to have one custom made. I tried to put 12 qt pans on with the new motor but they hit that stringer. I need to notch the pan to make them fit.
Thanks
That's exactly what had to be done on my 10 qt oil pans. When I bought the boat some moron used a hammer to notch the pan so when I got the boat I had my fabricator do it the right way.

However, when I raised the X that would no longer have been an issue but I did have to slightly modify the engine hatch for the blowers. Aloso, when I redid the X dimension I made notch a bit higher, alomost back to normal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.