Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Apache
how much fuel did the apache 41 race boats carry and in how many tanks? >

how much fuel did the apache 41 race boats carry and in how many tanks?

Notices

how much fuel did the apache 41 race boats carry and in how many tanks?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how much fuel did the apache 41 race boats carry and in how many tanks?

i was wondering how much fuel the 41 apaches carried back in the day, when they raced real offshore races to bimini etc. my my mich light boat had six huge tanks back in the day... thx, rm
Old 03-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I thought I read somewhere a few of them had way oversized fuel tanks and storage compartments??? Weird... Must have been for supplies for the long trips!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

Phil my 38 had 580 gallons back in 79 and 80 race seasons.

Four engine room saddle tanks and two under the deck low keel tanks and we could transfer fuel back and forth to balance the boat out during the race. We loaded up for rough races and if it calmed down, we pumped the extra overboard to lighten up.

Don't forget back in the early 70's the Bahamas 500 race was actually 539 miles. So you needed a lot of capacity.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Phil my 38 had 580 gallons back in 79 and 80 race seasons.

Four engine room saddle tanks and two under the deck low keel tanks and we could transfer fuel back and forth to balance the boat out during the race. We loaded up for rough races and if it calmed down, we pumped the extra overboard to lighten up.

Don't forget back in the early 70's the Bahamas 500 race was actually 539 miles. So you needed a lot of capacity.
charlie, what kind of fuel mileage do you think a 41 apache would get at cruise with a pair of 850/900hp engines? im wondering if i put huge tanks in a 41 if i could run down to ecuador for some of that 1.10 a gallon high test and make it back to colombia with some fuel left over. lol

i know i can make panama and back is 4 bucks a gallon for high test in panama, vs 5.50 in colombia...

with all the diesel i will be burning running gensets at our island hotel and two boats, i ought to buy a small fuel truck and run to and from ecuador, once or twice a month...
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 591 Likes on 240 Posts

You need a small Freighter Ratman
Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
You need a small Freighter Ratman
lmao... if i could buy one of those small tanker trucks id be in shape... what do they hold 2500 gallons?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come to Venezuela, today I filled up the complete tank on my Toyota Camry with 0.05$ and a Ford Expedition with 0.10$, THE COMPLETE TANK
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OPS VZLA
Come to Venezuela, today I filled up the complete tank on my Toyota Camry with 0.05$ and a Ford Expedition with 0.10$, THE COMPLETE TANK
i forgot all about how cheap gas is in venezuela, what is the closest sea port to cartagena where i could fuel up? looking at the map i would have to go from ven to bogota up the highway to cart it would be like a 30 hour ride... the northern tip of colombia is no mans land, only the drug runners and farc hang out in those parts.... i dont think there are any real roads connecting ven to the coast of colombia on the carribean sea... santa marta is about the closet i could be to ven and still be in colombia i think,

here is what a need, something like this but older, beater, and cheaper that holds 3000k or 4000 k gallon. fill one tank with diesel and the rest with high test... just anchor it near my island and swing by for fuel when needed... 300 bucks for 3000 gallons! and it would only take 180 or so gallons to make the trip @ 10 cents a gallon... i may be on to something... if im out past the 3 mile limit i might even be legal...

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/11...1#.UzoZVVdQZf0
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratman
i forgot all about how cheap gas is in venezuela, what is the closest sea port to cartagena where i could fuel up? looking at the map i would have to go from ven to bogota up the highway to cart it would be like a 30 hour ride... the northern tip of colombia is no mans land, only the drug runners and farc hang out in those parts.... i dont think there are any real roads connecting ven to the coast of colombia on the carribean sea... santa marta is about the closet i could be to ven and still be in colombia i think,

here is what a need, something like this but older, beater, and cheaper that holds 3000k or 4000 k gallon. fill one tank with diesel and the rest with high test... just anchor it near my island and swing by for fuel when needed... 300 bucks for 3000 gallons! and it would only take 180 or so gallons to make the trip @ 10 cents a gallon... i may be on to something... if im out past the 3 mile limit i might even be legal...

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/11...1#.UzoZVVdQZf0

Till a bad a$$ drug dealer finds out your holding all that fuel 3 mi out..... Where nobody can help you....
Old 03-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

My 1967 Nova carried 250 to 300 gallons but that was back when offshore was leave today, go to the Bahamas and come back tomorrow. First one to the dock wins. To off set the 1800lb fuel load when full there is a 50 gallon ballast water tank up in the bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.