Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Apache
When is an Apache not an Apache?  When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera... >

When is an Apache not an Apache? When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...

Notices

When is an Apache not an Apache? When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is an Apache not an Apache? When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...

This showed up on the local CL:

Aronow 47/ Apache 47 Offshore High-Performance, Excellent condition - $79000 (OBO, Harrison Township)

This is a very unique off-shore gofast boat designed and built by legendary Donald Aronow.

Before Don's demise, he established a factory in Missouri and started building boats (2) on an improved 45' Aronow Alpha mold. This one was bought new in 1997 and the rigging was completed at Ft Apache by Martin Marine in Lauderdale.

Registered today as a 1995 Pantera 47 (engraved on the dash too as you can see from my photos) it should and would have been called an Aronow 47. Collected by the previous owner, I picked it up 2012. I am the first user in 10 years. It has mainly been stored from 2002-2012 roughly, and one reason it is in such great condition. Always fresh water used.

Don designed this one very light and used Kevlar extensively in the molds. We weigh in at well shy of 11,000 pounds and it drives extremely light. I am a layman but have been told that he took all his performance improvements from his previous companies (Donzi, Formula, Cigarette, etc) and put it into this one. Unfortunately he wasn't able to see it through.

There was a movie on the Discovery channel the other week about him, showing a bit of him and this design.

I was told that this boat was designed with one criteria in mind: Miami to Carribean. 6-8 footers on Lake Erie on the way to Cedar Point have been a lot of fun in this hull and a piece of cake. Comes with a custom built three axle trailer. The photos are mainly from late last season before winter storage.

Clean and clear titles for both trailer and boat. recent appraisal from 2012 is enclosed below. Appraised value of USD $175,000.00, replacement $475,000.00. Asking $79,000

This is brokered by Blue Lagoon Boating Center in Clinton Twp, MI. The website is bluelagoonbc dot com and the email is boats at bluelagoonbc dot com
So, what is this thing?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The HIN starts with PPF which is the manufacturer's index code. http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/m...c=ppf&sort=mic

It is not the same as the Pantera Boats in Florida. Based on other threads I have seen, I believe the history he posted is mostly correct.
Not sure if Don Aronow actually owned the company though.

It is listed in the OSO Classifieds in the Pantera section also. It is NOT the same company.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o58029-en.html

Last edited by Griff; 07-24-2014 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

I've got the book "King of Thunderboat Row" and I don't recall reading anything about Don opening a factory in Missouri. Been a while since I read it, though.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Registered

That thing looks massive...you could have a break dancing contest on that sun pad
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Registered

Yeah, definitely an interesting boat.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]526759[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by sr73z
That thing looks massive...you could have a break dancing contest on that sun pad
Attached Thumbnails When is an Apache not an Apache?  When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...-aronow-45.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some more......
Attached Thumbnails When is an Apache not an Apache?  When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...-aronow-cabin.jpg  
Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This Aronow 45' has much better triple power and drives than the before mentioned on CL.
Attached Thumbnails When is an Apache not an Apache?  When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...-aronow-triple-engines.jpg   When is an Apache not an Apache?  When it is an Aronow... or a Pantera...-aronow-hull.jpg  

Last edited by scippy; 07-26-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Registered

Wonder how it rides? Could you imagine with triple Ilmors?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The molds for the 45 Aronow are over a Sonic in FLA. My friend owns them and has them over there on some kind of lease deal (wish him luck on that). I've always been curious on the handling and speed of this hull. They had a hull and deck that my friend already built and this was supposed to be the Aronow tribute boat. I think they were going to modify the hull (steps ,pad, ect.???),but I dont believe this was done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.