Imco drive will not go on. >

Imco drive will not go on.

Notices

Old 04-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having quite the week,now my Imco shorty wont go all the way on,it stops about 2 inches away and I cant get nuts on the studs to draw it in.This is a new setup ITS box longer shaft XR,and Im wondering why.The motor was aligned properly and it looks dead on through the gimble.My other boat with bravos slip right in ,this was like hitting a brick wall.Is there a different gimble bearing for th xr shaft?The alignment tool slid in and out perfect so whats the trick?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Imco drive will not go on.

there is a difference between xr and reg. bravo . usually the xr bearing has a red dot on the outer lip. and the line up shaft of a reg. bravo slides rite in but the diameter of it is slightly smaller, hense why the line up is good and the drive wont slide on.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
there is a difference between xr and reg. bravo . usually the xr bearing has a red dot on the outer lip. and the line up shaft of a reg. bravo slides rite in but the diameter of it is slightly smaller, hense why the line up is good and the drive wont slide on.
hense
Old 04-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Imco drive will not go on.

Are you removing a Bravo and installing an IMCO ? If you are, dont you need to cut the lower portion of the bell housing off to allow the drive to be able to slip all the way up? All the IMCO drives I have installed I had to cut the lower portion offthe bell off. Or are you just onstalling a lower unit on a stock upper?

John
Old 04-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Registered

Re: Imco drive will not go on.

Yes Im installing a complete Imco upper and lower,the drive stops at about the same spot as the taper is on the shaft after o rings.Cutting the housing?I will look at the bearing and see if it has a red dot.I took my old shaft from the IMCO and it slid all the way in,but I changed the shaft to accomodate the ITS 7 inches longer and I was told it is an xr shaft with bigger u joints.My theory was wrong gimble bearing.Anyone care tp post?Just went out and checked red dot on ring

Last edited by plumbers crack; 04-17-2005 at 08:18 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered

make sure you are not using to much grease on the two o-rings on the shaft. that will cause some problems. and also check the width of the gimbal ring where the wear plates are maybe you are binding up there. mercury uses plastic plates on the drive i think imco does not. there is also a special alignment tool for the its setup. you cannot use the regular one for standard length drives it is to short.

Last edited by lowfunds; 04-17-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Registered

Imco has plastic wear plates.used extended tool.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 AM
VIP Member

Do not use the nuts on the studs to ever draw any drive in or close the gap. If you cannot push it all the way then you have an obstruction. If you draw it in you will surely be damaging/cracking something.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Why dont you put a light dustig of baby powder on the input shaft to see if its causing the bind.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pwrbt33
Are you removing a Bravo and installing an IMCO ? If you are, dont you need to cut the lower portion of the bell housing off to allow the drive to be able to slip all the way up? All the IMCO drives I have installed I had to cut the lower portion offthe bell off. Or are you just onstalling a lower unit on a stock upper?

John
I'm with John. If you havn't done the required bell housing mod, it won't ever go on. Dare I suggest you read the installation sheet that came with the drive?

Dave

Quick Reply: Imco drive will not go on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.