Hydraulic fluid

Notices

Hydraulic fluid

Old 04-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic fluid

Hydrocruiser or others;

I have a zero turn lawn mower and it has a hydrostatic drive system. What do you think of using Mobil 1 V-twin in the hydrostatic drive. I can't see where it would hurt anything as most big excavators use straight 30 wt oil in the hydraulics.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

Default Re: Hydraulic fluid

ttt; still looking for Hydrocruiser input.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through a similar exercise. I have an el-cheapo wal mart 42" deck mower. I removed the pulley that drives the hydro-static trans and put an adjustable sheeve and longer belt on. That baby hauls arse now! Increased the speed about 50%. What you need to figure is at what temp the oil is and match the oil thickness to that temp for whatever oil you are using. Too thick and you create heat, too thin and you creat heat due to slipping.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Registered

This is on a high dollar Case skid loader 90XT and Case wants you to use their overpriced stuff. I think the new stuff they recommend is biodegradable and I don't subscribe to that fanaticism.
The oil has a thermostatic control on it. But it seems if the Synthetic stuff is so good for engines, it ought to be great for hydraulics.

I sure wish I could get Hydrocruiser to come onto this. He is Mister Oil.

If anyone can reach him, tell him to respond. I tried to email him but ng.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Hydraulic fluid

Originally Posted by vonwolske
Hydrocruiser or others;

I have a zero turn lawn mower and it has a hydrostatic drive system. What do you think of using Mobil 1 V-twin in the hydrostatic drive. I can't see where it would hurt anything as most big excavators use straight 30 wt oil in the hydraulics.
http://www.pecuniary.com/synthetics/hydraulicoil.html

My tractor hydrostatic unit calls for 10W-30 oil I am using Mobil-1 now and it works great.

I would double check with the manufacturer or a pro lawn-mower shop first as I am not familiar wih Zero turns.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Registered

Hydrocruiser;
Thanks for reply.
Zero turn is simply a generic type that has the two levers for control of forward and reverse of each driving wheel, one per wheel, and so it steers with a pair of levers like a "Bobcat" skid steer loader, rather than a steering wheel. It makes the mower very agile for going around trees.

The actual brand I have is a Skag, Turf Tiger which is a commercial machine using Ross or Parker hydraulic motors on each axle and fed from a common hydraulic pump. This a very common drive system for these machines. I think it uses a vane style supply pump. But I know it uses a pair of "gearoter" style hydraulic drive motors, one for each wheel. There is a lot of rolling friction in these motors with high film stresses at low speeds.

But the concern I had was how the hydraulic system would behave using the synthetic fluid which is ordinarily a factory fill of just 30 wt oil.

I don't have as much confidence in the lawn shop answer as I do in your answers, as you forgot more about this oil stuff than they will ever know.

So unless you have something to the contrary, I will just go ahead with the Mobil V-twin oil in the hydrostatic unit also.

Of course if it blows up I will blame you. Just kidding or course.

Thanks for your time and interest.
Jim Vonwolske
Old 04-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Hydraulic fluid

Check this Amsoil product out..it may be right for you as "SAE 30" is stated on the label. Also, there are a few synthetic oil manufacturers such as Redline and RP that make a 30wt oil.

You asked about V-twin...it is very thick..maybe too thick??
Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic fluid-ath_qt_300pxh.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-26-2005 at 07:39 PM.