Needing Help on Steering Helm? >

Needing Help on Steering Helm?

Notices

Needing Help on Steering Helm?

Old 04-18-2005, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Help on Steering Helm?

What's Up fellow OSO'rs. Here is my problem and I am looking for some other thoughts than my own. I have a 1997 Baja Hammer, mid 70's GPS, that is doing some chine walking. It is also doing alot of bow steering at idle speeds. I want to tighten up the steering for safety. The steering wheel has about 1 1/2" play, while the Teleflex Safe-T QC Peformance Single Helm unit has about 3/8" play with the cable disconnected. When I move the cable separate of the helm, the OD almost moves instantaneous. I have also checked the square shift pin on top of the gimbal housing, steering cable & linkage. Everything Is good to go. Is that enough to warrant changing the helm unit?

I have talked to the tech reps at Teleflex, and they are clueless!!! They could not give me a dimension when new, or when to replace. They could not even tell me what kind of gears are inside of the sealed unit. I know that I need Hydraulic steering, but the boat doesn't call for it. In a few years, I will be trading up; so I will never recoup the money. That is why I am trying to tighten the factory steering.

A little about my background. I am an airplane mechanic that works on these exact cables on thrust reversers all of the time. I am also very meticulous in everything that I do. my motto is "Do it right the first time".

Thanks for your help!!!

1997 Baja BOSS Hammer, 454 Magnum (385hp), Bravo 1, Mirage Plus 23P, 78mph Speedo, 72 mph GPS
Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Needing Help on Steering Helm?

I have hyd. on my cat, but have dealt with this many times before. I would replace the cable, I have had one of these break on my Ski Nautique. That much play in my unscientific opinion is too much. Replacing the cable will be enough, I don't know what happens in there, a lot of times the cable looks fine, but you get the play. I still think the cable is the problem, but if it was me and if I had the space, I would use one of Teleflex's rack and pinion helms and cables. Not really expensive and it works better and more precisely.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Needing Help on Steering Helm?

I would not bother repairing that helm. Save your money and go for full dual ram hydraulic. You wont believe the difference.