TRS Outdrive Help Needed

Notices

TRS Outdrive Help Needed

Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS Outdrive Help Needed

TRS Outdrive help:

Would someone please walk me through the correct process of shimming the gears in the TRS Outdrive. Mine are driven by twin 502's and the last guy that worked on them didn't have a clue.

I'll be waiting, thanks
Old 04-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Registered

Default Re: TRS Outdrive Help Needed

first you better have a good mechanical background & you need the correct special tools to set pinion depth, check bearing preload & gear backlash. buy the correct mercruiser book & good luck. the tools are quite expensive so unless your planing on doing this alot, it's probably cheaper to send it to a pro.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

you need to have them done by a compentent drive builder . 1 missed shim and kabooooom
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

Default Re: TRS Outdrive Help Still Needed

Thanks for you concern but, that was very general. First off I'm a manufacturing engineer and I have a service manual. I can machine any tools or parts that I might need. What I need is specs on the preload and a general walk-through on shiming the gears. Any help would be appreciated and thanks again for the responce.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered

The Mercruiser Manual Does A Prety Good Job Of Walking You Through The Procedure As Well As Giving You Specs. What It Doesn't Give You Is The Dimensions Of The Special Tools.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have a complete set of tools for sale in the swap shop. make me a good offer on them. Before I bought these I has the same Idea. glad I didnt do it because there are far more things than just turning and milling few parts.
Ken
Old 04-20-2005, 04:35 PM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no luck returning your email.Where are you located?

Rob
Old 04-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

Rob I just switched e-mail, I'll look it up and get back to ya.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 04-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dragon V,

I have gone down this road myself with a SSMIII. I am also an engineer, and have sufficient machine tools in my garage to fab anything that would be necessary to complete the job, and have the service manuals. I found it much more cost effective in terms of time, materials, and peace of mind to simply ship it off to MRD. Skip overhauled my upper, swapped gears (that I provided), and gave me a whole new U-joint assembly with a really trick anti-corrsion coating, all for $400. I've researched procuring the necessary tools, and they are horridly expensive, and only available in full sets, if at all. I'd use your talents and time designing a drive that could be serviced without all the infrastructure. If you get yours done before I get mine done, I'll buy yours...

Just my humble opinion...
Old 03-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Llc
Registered

Default TRS Drive

That to me was the best drive they made if it dident have the trans in front of it we were putting 611hp at 5800 rpm. With 525 ci tunnel ramed gm tall deck motors. With the Warner trans was a good set up motor had Patterson heders 38ft well craft scarab. Heavy boat raised deck not flat deck 1978 boat started out as a 400hp staged set up ended up 525ci number 3 speedmasters Paterson heders raised drive train 4 inches boat ran in the low 80's. That's with a bar and full interior.ran whiend hole shot tunnel rams with two1050 dominate carbs vertex magnetos roller cams Omar girdle and crower as roller rockers wicked sounding boat 11. 1/2 to one comp ran on pump gas with octane additive and lead additive 80 is slow today this was in the01980s

Quick Reply: TRS Outdrive Help Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.