Almost Sunk and Burned Up My Boat Yesterday

Notices

Almost Sunk and Burned Up My Boat Yesterday

Old 04-25-2005, 09:53 AM
BBB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost Sunk and Burned Up My Boat Yesterday

Well we have all made mistakes before so I wanted to share mine with ya. So I do all the regular pre flight checks, like drain plug, rear straps, drives in and so on. had my 2 kids with me and was launching by myself, launched boat and beached next to ramp and went and parked the truck, hoped back on board heading out in the lake watching water temp come up, oil psi and so on, 1100 rpm to reach my operating temp when all of a sudden, in stereo both audible alarms started going off, checked water temp 160 oil 45, what the,who the, then the engines die and there is smoke comming out of the hatch, lifted hatch and there was 1 foot of water in the bilge and pipes were smoking. OK so where I live it is still 15 deg. in the morning so I make it a habit to pump up those 496 auto drain systems after boating but this time I forgot to pull the release rings to close the system back up. so when I launched, I was filling the bilge and sucking air into the sea pumps, thank-you mercruiser for the guardian system, so I closed the auto drains and restarted engines, everything came back up and engines ran fine the rest of the day, just have to replace the 4 in exhaust hoses. whew!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered

Default Re: Almost Sunk and Burned Up My Boat Yesterday

sounds like you were lucky. don't you just love those first trips of the year
Old 04-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks for the great story. I love the first time of the year
Old 04-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the stuff you dont tell people......it will come back to haunt you!
Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
BBB
Registered

If you cant be honest with you're fellow power boaters who can you be honest with, besides I dont plan on selling this boat. The guardian system was a well planed out program by mercruiser. the fresh water system only went to 160 deg. the only damage was some mediun well done exhaust hoses. I just hope that IF I do buy another boat in the future the seller would be compleetly hones with me. the exhaust water temp sensors in the manifolds went out of safe operating range and engines went into self protect mode. no engine damage done!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Registered

This is my first post so I'm a virgin, If I understand you put your boat in the water and left if running? But it doesn't matter if its running or not, If you don't release the pres. off the system water will run in even if the engine is off trust me I know. I know of two other boats that had water up in the cabin before it was noticed. When you put em up release the pressure before you close the hatch or you might forget.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Registered

Glad to hear your okay. Saved my ass once. Didn't screw the bilge plug in tight enough, water started to fill in bilge. I had accidently knocked the bilge pump rocker into the OFF position. Went into limp home mode. Pulled the boat out of the water and when I went to remove the drain plug it took several minutes for all the water to come out.

I know a lot of people on this board don't care for the system but I think it's great, especially for beginner's like myself.