Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Just popped a cylinder - go for stroker? >

Just popped a cylinder - go for stroker?

Notices

Just popped a cylinder - go for stroker?

Old 05-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just popped a cylinder - go for stroker?

Have the HP500EFI's in my Fountain and I am debating throwing in a stroker kit rather than buying new pistons. Can I get away with the stock cam, injectors and computer calibration or does everything need to be changed?

I know that my stock set up is a bit on the rich side. The Flatlander Scat stroker kit pn 1-42510-1 Scat Forged crank, Scat H-beam rods w/ ARP bolts, SRP dished pistons (9.4:1 with 118cc domes). Thanks in advance. John
Old 05-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

Default Re: Just popped a cylinder - go for stroker?

Stingray, It is sooo easy to get carried away. I already have the feeling that stroking it is going overboard. Just trying to capitalize on an opportunity with very minimal pain.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered

Also wanted to know if the 4.250" crank will clear the stock oil pan?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ck with Mark at Precision Marine .. He just did one of these and dynoed it and recalibrated the computer. Give him a call at 504-469-7463

Good luck

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:45 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4.25" crank will clear the pan. If you do that or any other mod's you will need to mess with the ECU. I just sent off a engine to Mark @ Precision to get the calibration right. He got it close by guessing but I chose a package he had never done. I got tired of it not being just right so I knew the only way to do it was to send it to him. By the way, Mark is very customer oriented. I think you would be happy with his work, but he stays very busy so you need a little patience.

My suggestion is either to add a intake and carb as mentioned above or plan on sending your engine off to get it corrected properly if you are going to use the EFI.

Strip, How's the boat running? I yell later this week
Old 05-04-2005, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you doing one or both? I think it is a great opportunity to do it. But where do you stop?
540 kit- YES.
Heads? Have the stock iron heads rebuilt and then ported by JimV or use out of the box Edelbrock and sell the stock heads?
Extrude hone the lower manifold-YES.
Cam-leave stock-YES. Or maybe have one ground with lift up to .600" and near stock duration-YES.
Have Mark dyno one and calibrate the ECU-YES.

This sounds like a solid 600-625HP package which is easily repeatable for others. They will look completely stock and stealth and really pack a punch. Would probably add ?15+ MPH in a twin boat.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Linster
The 4.25" crank will clear the pan. If you do that or any other mod's you will need to mess with the ECU. I just sent off a engine to Mark @ Precision to get the calibration right. He got it close by guessing but I chose a package he had never done. I got tired of it not being just right so I knew the only way to do it was to send it to him. By the way, Mark is very customer oriented. I think you would be happy with his work, but he stays very busy so you need a little patience.

My suggestion is either to add a intake and carb as mentioned above or plan on sending your engine off to get it corrected properly if you are going to use the EFI.

Strip, How's the boat running? I yell later this week
Linnie its running better than espected How your coming ?

Also I think Dockholiday on the board just did the some package .and made some good #'s!!

If your going to go to all the trouble of replacing rotating asmy,and heads ,modify the intake , you might consider maybe just doing a blower set up.You might come out cheaper and with more power .

On my little build up I did It looks like I am going to have to go up 6 prop sizes from where I was. And thats with the big pulley so far I picked up 19 mph

Good Luck

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Registered

Metroplex Machine in the Dallas area is a top notch builder. He has a dyno as well, so I can check the engine output and air/fuel ratio. Sounds like the ECU will have to be changed though. That sucks - was hoping to just put it back togeher and run it as is and be back on the lake by next week.

Marty, I was thinking that I would have to do both if I go with the stroker kit - leaning towards a 509 to avoid the snowball effect around an upgrade like this.

Last edited by aTX427; 05-04-2005 at 10:33 AM.