Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI >

Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI

Notices

Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI

Old 05-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI

Hi guys, i have a 502 gen 6, i recently broke a spring and bent a push rod, i was thinking since i have to replace that why not put roller rockers, my mechanic said ok but now he tells me that the 502 is different than the 454 in that aspect and now the bill its up to 650 because i have to change alot more parts. Is that right?
Thanks for any imput
Old 05-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI

All you have to change is the Studs! ARP makes special conversion studs for the GenVI. I would suggest the Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers! They are made of Chrome molley steele, but actually lighter over the valve than aluminum rockers!! Have had them on many motors with great results!!
Old 05-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Exactly what I was thinking. Its probably about 300 for parts. Its no different than the 454's that I know of.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

I second the motion!...on the Comp Cams roller rockers. Since running the all-stainless variety I have yet to break one (in several seasons), very happy.

Brian
Old 05-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI

The gen vi motors have a different rocker stud and nut than older gen iv and gen v motors. the are non adjustable and lock down at correct preload. Good suggestions and info from other OSOers that simple kits are available to do the conversion to roller rockers. Comp Cams and Crane both offer the kits and they are a good investment in the valve train department. Make sure the mechanic checks out the entire valve spring and retainer situation as your exisitng pieces may need entire replacement depending on what the failure was caused by.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Gen V's also use the non adjustable valve train in 454's and 502's, other than blue engines which are already converted.

Get the ARP rocker studs. They are half the price Comp ones and probably better.

These are the ones you need.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

You will also have to grind off the oil drip tabs on the inside of the valve covers and probably grind of the the corners of the #1 and #8 intake rockers to clear the baffles on the stock valve covers.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What is the rocker ratio on a stock Gen VI 502? I guess I'll need to replace with the same. Do you need any offset rockers or just the regular for this conversion?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

Stock ratio is 1.7. After bending several stock push rods on mine a few years ago I installed some ones . Not very expensive and good insurance and your already there.
Jerry.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pismo10
What is the rocker ratio on a stock Gen VI 502? I guess I'll need to replace with the same. Do you need any offset rockers or just the regular for this conversion?
1.7 as metioned. Some have tried 1.8 ratioo but I personally would stay stock. No offset. If you with the rollers you will have to change valve covers or modify the stock ones to fit. The drippers for the pivot ball have to be removed and depending on height of locking nut they may need trimed a little. They will fit under stock 502 valve covers with a little help. Use the ARP studs as metioned.

Stock pivot-ball rockers create a fair amount of heat in the oil system it is nice to get rid of. IMHO
Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What are some good valve covers to buy as replacements that will fit over these new rockers but still not interfere with the stock exhasut, etc. I thought I read somewhere you could buy adapters which raised the valve cover a bit. Is this true, do they really work?Thanks

Quick Reply: Roller Rocker tips on 502 GVI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.