What Amsoil product is the best??

Old 05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow What Amsoil product is the best??

I received an e-mail asking this..did some research and found this to be true:

"The "inside" info among some Amsoil dealers that I know is that
the HDD Amsoil 5W-30 Diesel/Gas oil is one of their best products.
The owner of the company uses this in all of his personal vehicles gas or diesel.

As a fact that was verified by Amsoil is that the presidents car as well as the armoured cars that the secret service use to protect him all use Amsoil. Don't know which product, but I would guess the HDD 5W-30".

$8.70/qt and make no mistake with a VI stock base this is a rock solid oil. Probably one of the best 5W-30's out there.

...learn something new everyday!
Attached Thumbnails What Amsoil product is the best??-hdd_qt_300pxh.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 05-21-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: What Amsoil product is the best??

Hey Hydro,
Is the red cap Mobile 15W50 OK to run with the new gold cap? I have red cap in the motor and it seems gold cap is all the part stores have on the shelf now. Is there a problem mixing the two?

Craig
Old 05-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

whats your take on lower unit gear oil for merc 300x's with sporty lowers ?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: What Amsoil product is the best??

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
Hey Hydro,
Is the red cap Mobile 15W50 OK to run with the new gold cap? I have red cap in the motor and it seems gold cap is all the part stores have on the shelf now. Is there a problem mixing the two?

Craig
Can be mixed..the Redcap is actually being stashed by some oil gurus as it has more zddp in it...new standars reduce zddp as it clogs converters on cars.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
whats your take on lower unit gear oil for merc 300x's with sporty lowers ?
I would use Amsoil Marine gear lube...
Old 05-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If they lower the base of this oil it will be a shame.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

I work for the ExxonMobil distributor in Indiana. Hydrocruiser is correct about the zddp. I have spoken with my ExxonMobil sales engineer and there has been no complaints about clogging converters. It has a higher additive package in it though. I used Mobil 1 15w50 in my Sterlings. I have had noting but problems when I use Amsoil. It works great on bikes, but I have not had any luck with boats. The new 15w50 Mobil 1 EP is not a direct replacement of the Mobil 1 15w50 with supersyn. It has been discontinued. We sell every oil under the sun and the Mobil 1 runs the best in the worst conditions. Any questions, you can get in touch via www.genpet.com. Or you can e-mail me on here and I can get you any information that you want. We are in Fort Wayne and have used it in offshore boats for 15 years. You should see some race engines after they have been abused. Still look NEW!!!

Craig
Old 05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by vandy021
I work for the ExxonMobil distributor in Indiana. Hydrocruiser is correct about the zddp. I have spoken with my ExxonMobil sales engineer and there has been no complaints about clogging converters. It has a higher additive package in it though. I used Mobil 1 15w50 in my Sterlings. I have had noting but problems when I use Amsoil. It works great on bikes, but I have not had any luck with boats. The new 15w50 Mobil 1 EP is not a direct replacement of the Mobil 1 15w50 with supersyn. It has been discontinued. We sell every oil under the sun and the Mobil 1 runs the best in the worst conditions. Any questions, you can get in touch via www.genpet.com. Or you can e-mail me on here and I can get you any information that you want. We are in Fort Wayne and have used it in offshore boats for 15 years. You should see some race engines after they have been abused. Still look NEW!!!

Craig
I am all for sticking with Mobil-1 15W-50 Extended and throwing in 20% Redline to get the anti-wear additive
package to where it needs to be in hard driven offshore marine engines. In stock engines you should be fine but if you run hard you need to look into an additive and one qt of Redline will enhance the base and significantly boost the anti-wear additives.

Imagine the new conventional oils with little or no ZDDP....offshore engine suicide.

Sorry folks but it's time to send you to Redline's website....you can order online. I am putting my order in tonight.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_m...45&subcatID=14

It's the way bob's oilaholics are going and we should be too.

...aren't you glad you have me around to find all this chit out and make you worry?

1/4 Redline to 3/4 Mobil-1 Extended Goldcap.
Or if you are a big spender Redline/Alisyn or V-Twin all the way.
Attached Thumbnails What Amsoil product is the best??-58.jpg  
Old 05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The problem with them is that the by-products of the anti-wear additives, which end up on the catalytic converter, increase the amount of carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides. We have therefore an interest in coming up with new additives."

Before the work of Müser and his colleagues, it was known that anti-wear additives help engines because the chemicals form a protective film over the parts that they glide over through the oil. Little, if any, information, however, was known about how such substances work on the atomic level.

To unlock the deeper secrets behind additives, Müser and his team used computer simulations to subject the most popular lubricant additives — zinc dialkyldithiophosphates, also called ZDDPs — to conditions similar to those that would be found in a running engine.

The findings were published in the current issue of Science.

The researchers determined, through quantum chemical simulations, that pressure within an engine, and not heat, causes changes to occur within ZDDP. When first subjected to pressure, ZDDP has a somewhat disconnected state, where its chemical bonds are loosely arranged. As pressure builds, atoms form cross-linked, tight bonds.

When the substance was at this high-pressure stage, Müser and his colleagues were able to confirm a popular motor oil advertising claim: additives do act as "smart materials."

"A smart material would be a material that adjusts its properties under varying conditions in such a way that it is useful to us," Müser explained. "The zincphosphate pads (meaning the chemical bonds formed within the protective film), for example, become much harder with increasing pressure."

ZDDP, therefore, acts as if it has a brain. When pressure pushes down on it, it can push back because its atomic bonds get ever tighter with more pressure.

ZDDP even has memory, because the decompressed material retains a density that corresponds to the earlier pressure high point. That is one reason why oily film builds up in some parts of an engine more so than in other areas. The section with the build-up likely endures higher pressures.

Despite its environmental problems, ZDDP works. What do not work, according to the researchers, are lubricants with high concentrations of calcium phosphates. Those chemicals reduce connectivity on the atomic level, which means a weaker film forms that can lead to wear on the steel engine.

Now there is another challenge. Scientists are trying to find an oil additive that will work with an aluminum engine. Manufacturers have their eyes on aluminum because it is lighter and improves fuel efficiency, according to Müser's colleague Tom Woo, also one of the study's authors.

Woo told Discovery News that ZDDP is not a good match for an aluminum engine. He explained, "The pad, or films, become harder than the aluminum surface itself. Thus, abrasion will occur."

Mark Robbins, an expert on friction who is a professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Johns Hopkins University, was surprised to learn that pressure, and not temperature, is all that is needed for ZDDP to form its protective films. He suggested that information from the study might help others to create new lubricants in future.

Müser said he and his team are doing just that.

"We are starting to explore some ideas," he said, "but it is too premature to comment on them."
Old 05-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
"The problem with them is that the by-products of the anti-wear additives, which end up on the catalytic converter, increase the amount of carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides. We have therefore an interest in coming up with new additives."

Before the work of Müser and his colleagues, it was known that anti-wear additives help engines because the chemicals form a protective film over the parts that they glide over through the oil. Little, if any, information, however, was known about how such substances work on the atomic level.

To unlock the deeper secrets behind additives, Müser and his team used computer simulations to subject the most popular lubricant additives — zinc dialkyldithiophosphates, also called ZDDPs — to conditions similar to those that would be found in a running engine.

The findings were published in the current issue of Science.

The researchers determined, through quantum chemical simulations, that pressure within an engine, and not heat, causes changes to occur within ZDDP. When first subjected to pressure, ZDDP has a somewhat disconnected state, where its chemical bonds are loosely arranged. As pressure builds, atoms form cross-linked, tight bonds.

When the substance was at this high-pressure stage, Müser and his colleagues were able to confirm a popular motor oil advertising claim: additives do act as "smart materials."

"A smart material would be a material that adjusts its properties under varying conditions in such a way that it is useful to us," Müser explained. "The zincphosphate pads (meaning the chemical bonds formed within the protective film), for example, become much harder with increasing pressure."

ZDDP, therefore, acts as if it has a brain. When pressure pushes down on it, it can push back because its atomic bonds get ever tighter with more pressure.

ZDDP even has memory, because the decompressed material retains a density that corresponds to the earlier pressure high point. That is one reason why oily film builds up in some parts of an engine more so than in other areas. The section with the build-up likely endures higher pressures.

Despite its environmental problems, ZDDP works. What do not work, according to the researchers, are lubricants with high concentrations of calcium phosphates. Those chemicals reduce connectivity on the atomic level, which means a weaker film forms that can lead to wear on the steel engine.

Now there is another challenge. Scientists are trying to find an oil additive that will work with an aluminum engine. Manufacturers have their eyes on aluminum because it is lighter and improves fuel efficiency, according to Müser's colleague Tom Woo, also one of the study's authors.

Woo told Discovery News that ZDDP is not a good match for an aluminum engine. He explained, "The pad, or films, become harder than the aluminum surface itself. Thus, abrasion will occur."

Mark Robbins, an expert on friction who is a professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Johns Hopkins University, was surprised to learn that pressure, and not temperature, is all that is needed for ZDDP to form its protective films. He suggested that information from the study might help others to create new lubricants in future.

Müser said he and his team are doing just that.

"We are starting to explore some ideas," he said, "but it is too premature to comment on them."
Excellent!

At least us boaters have Redline, Mobil-1 V-Twin,Torco, Alisyn, and Mercruiser oil that have ZDDP. Informed consumers will be fine. Knowing that Redline is loaded with anti-wear additives to the point of "almost too much" makes it a good 'additive".

We in the boating world don't have aluminum engines to be concerned with as companies like Ferrari do have to worry about. Also, pushrod engines are much more friendly to oil than overhead cam set-ups.

So us boaters are fine knowing the choices given. As far as autos go the Bob's group are adding ZDDP back in and if they blow a catalytic converter figure it's cheaper than an engine.

Thanks for your feedback!

Quick Reply: What Amsoil product is the best??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.