steering alignment over 40mph >

steering alignment over 40mph

Notices

steering alignment over 40mph

Old 05-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering alignment over 40mph

Last two weekends...Perfect! A holiday weekend and it's pouring here in Dallas! So, figure I'll post a question.

I've searched through the forum for a similar problem but did not find one with the symptoms of my boat. It's a 21ft single V, Bravo1, Merc with a 3-blade 25pitch prop. I don't have hydrolic trim tabs so it's basically stock.

The steering wheel lines up straight with the outdrive when trailored and has little slack at the wheel and almost no play when hand moving the outdrive left or right. At low speeds, the typical side-to-side walking but get above 40mph and the steering wheel needs to be 1/2 turn counterclockwise to go straight.

I've checked the steering cable for bends and the piston assembly for leaks. All points from the steering wheel to the transom appear normal. I've checked the trim adjustments and both are tight.

Could the outdrive become slanted a few degrees to cause this or is there a step-by-step process I should follow to narrow down the cause?

Thanx in advance
Old 05-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered

Default Re: steering alignment over 40mph

How does it do below 40mph. Are you straight then?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Registered

twig111,
once out of the no-wake zone and on plane, it remains fairly straight then the wheel gradually needs to be turned to the left to keep the boat going straight.

Ends up being about 1/2 turn to the left when higher speeds are maintained. I would think that noticible vibration or "dog tracking" would be present if the outdrive, prop or skeg were causing this...but that is why I'm asking.

thanx in advance!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

Well, I'm not the expert but I have had a problem similar to this. My problem was a worn gimbal ring with play between the steering arm and the gimbal. But if that were your problem you would feel play in the outdrive when on the trailer.

So I'd check the power steering cylinder - maybe it needs a rebuild. It has check values that control the flow of power steering fluid, if they don't seat perfectly, maybe it would give you this symtom. Also check the cable.

When you let off does it kick hard to the left or right?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could be dragging something. Look at the bottom of the hull. Press on different spots and see if you have a soft spot.
Can you have someone look under the hatch while you drive and see if the steering is moving or losening.. The tiller arm may be sliding on it's pin, but that should show up on the trailer like Twig said..

Keep looking, you will find it. It isnt normal..

Dick
Old 06-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Registered

Did you try holding your beer with your right hand?
That little amount of slack on the steering helm....
seems to me that some helm units are better or tighter fitting with cable rack than others or maybe a little wear at that connection. One half turn does sound like a lot. Did this problem just appear or is it something that was always there. I am assuming that your pump fluid level is full.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
Registered

Twig111,
I asked a reputable repair shop in Rowlett and he instantly suggested the worn sleeze with the steering...which is placed inbetween the outdrive and the transom. Hope it's not as it's about $1000.

Mr. Gadgets,
Haven't found anything dragging but have checked the steering while underway with no slipping. I'll keep looking as it could be the pin's that hold all the steering components.

VeeCat,
tried switching hands and beer brands including lite to regular...it did seem to be less noticable the more I drank, so you might be on to something. It started last year but I didn't get a chance to take it out much which means I forgot until the next outing. The fluid is full but I will check the hoses as they are corroded on the ends near the transom.

I'll keep looking and post if I find anything. thanx for your suggestions...and in finding a new brand of beer!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a soft spot in the hull it can create "hook" at speed that you wont see while on the trailer. That could cause it to do funny things at speed.. keep lookin!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Registered

Like Stingray says...What???

Its a
GIMBAL RING $692
UPPER SWIVEL SHAFT $223
STEERING LEVER $115

for a discounted total of $1,030 BUT WAIT, thats just parts....
Follow link below to see picture and prices...

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...STEERING+LEVER

That's the first thing we think of but before you spend all your money...

But as I asked before, does the stern kick hard to the left or right if you kill the throttle above 40mph. This would require you to compensate by steering hard to the right (or left) to keep on course as the loose steering needs to be compensated for as the outdrive is loose (gimbal).

If the Gimbal ring/steering is bad, you should be able to move the outdrive at least 1" left and right on the trailer without the steering wheel moving. Don't be bashful about puting pressure on the outdrive until the steering wheel moves. If no play, probably not the above problem. If you have play then we ask more questions.

BE CAREFULL WITH THIS. THIS COULD BE A SAFETY PROBLEM. Or at least put life preservers around your beer and let us know where you are boating so we can retrieve the beer
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Registered

Well, Gents...regarding the worn sleeve, i blelieve the tech was referring to the upper swivel shaft or the steering lever, but I haven't returned to ask him.

When I do come off the throttle, the boat rides the wake but doesn't veer off left or right. once on the trailor, I can move the drive about an inch left and right but it appears to be tacking the slack out of the steering as the steering wheel moves slightly until real pressure is needed to spin the wheel.

I've been noticing a few other threads discussing shifting stiffness and ways to correct. Correct me if I'm wrong, but could my sudden issues with steering and shifting problems be related to problems within the Gimbal? Not that I want to spend another weekend with a manual that details outdrives and engine components that I don't have and briefly reviews those I do.

Thanx to all the information you folks offer, those of us that only just started with boating can get a second opinion, so-to-speak.

I hope to get out this weekend and will reply with what I find.