Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
how to cut a perfect 4 5/8 hole for a gauge? >

how to cut a perfect 4 5/8 hole for a gauge?

Notices

how to cut a perfect 4 5/8 hole for a gauge?

Old 06-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to cut a perfect 4 5/8 hole for a gauge?

I have a couple of tachs and a GPS speedo that need a 4 5/8 hole cut for them and the margin for error is virtually non existent. The problem is nobody makes a 4 5/8 hole saw and to try and cut it free hand with a roto zip will just about be impossible with the tolerances it gives. What can I do. I am stumped. Surely someone here has done this before and knows the trick. The only hole saws I can find are 4 1/2 and 4 3/4 but no 4 5/8.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 914 Likes on 460 Posts
Default Re: how to cut a perfect 4 5/8 hole for a gauge?

Go to Menards...or maybe Home Depot.....( i got mine at Menards thus the first suggestion) anyway in the section where they carry drills and wood working tools....they have an adjustable whole drill bit.....had a regular drill bt in the middle and an arm that can move side to side to make what ever hole you want up to 5" i think.....anyway that what i used to drill the holes for my monster gauges......i actually made them a tad smaller and followed up wid a hand file to fit them snug

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the rotozip drill a 1/8"hole in the ceter of where you want the hole drive a screw in the hole tie a string around the screw 1/2 the diameter of the hole - the width of the fence of the rotozip tie the other end of the string to the zip the string will keep you the distance from the center you want.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to just use a 4 1/2 and then a file or die grinder to GENTLY enlarge the whole for a nice tight fit. The single armed adjutable hole saw will do the trick but they take an experienced and controlled hand to use, they can easily destroy your dash and they like to twist and pop alot.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

I've used the Rotozip with the hole cutting attachment, and it worked fine, and gave great results. You do have to be careful, and make sure you use the correct bit. As far as the adjustable hole saws go, the only one I've seen just goes up to 2 1/2". I've used hillbilly's method, and that works well too. The filing tends to be tedious though. Either way you do it, make sure to protect the area with a couple of layers of masking tape or something. Just in case. And mark the area to be cut with a template so you don't stray, and most important, Take your time
Old 06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Registered

Yeah I guess a Roto-Zip would work well, I just can't bring myself to buyone it seems too much like a Martha Stewart homemaker tool.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Registered

I like that
Maybe if she had a Rotozip, she could have cut her way out of jail!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending upon the material you are cutting I bet you end up with a 4 5/8 hole with a 4.5 saw.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BadDog
Depending upon the material you are cutting I bet you end up with a 4 5/8 hole with a 4.5 saw.
Its not far off when your done, just a little under ussualy. whole saws never cut the exact diameter that they are unless you put it in a drill press.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Use a smaller hole saw and then reem it out for a perfect fit, you can use a grinder, rotozip, rasp, whatever. Have one of your buddies stand next to you with the shop vac and you'll reduce the mess a ton.

Quick Reply: how to cut a perfect 4 5/8 hole for a gauge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.