Why is my boat slowing down??

Notices

Why is my boat slowing down??

Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is my boat slowing down??

Just curious. My boat seems to be losing mph. All variables being the very similiar- give or take a gallon of fuel or a degree in air temp. I seem to have lost about 5 mph! Any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Registered

Default Re: Why is my boat slowing down??

You tend to lose MPH as the summer starts to lose the cool air. Just by chance, are you leaving your boat in the water. It's amazing how fast a film and then growth will attach to the bottom which in turn causes the speed to slow. Assuming your boat appears to be running ok.
VeeCat
Old 06-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give us some more info to work with. Over what kind of timeframe and/or events has this slowing occurred? What boat and motor(s) do you have? How is it stored? What were the water conditions during each run? Tab/Drive positions?

You could have any number of things going on, each of which are alluded to above, but this is by no means an all-inclusive list. We've seen everything from limp-mode on EFI motors, bad gas, and believe it or not, your boat probably will not give the maximum speed on glassy calm water. You need a foot of chop or so to help aerate the bottom. Wind conditions, humiditity and atmospheric condiitons, as well as river or tidal currents also play a role. Some days you just don't have it, and fumble with trying to get the boat trimmed out and run stable...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Are you loosing rpms also?????
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Registered

1)Take all of the crap out of your boat then see what you really need in there.

2) Are you taking on water? Maybe your auto bilge pump is not pumping out at the same level. You may have more water in your bilge than when the switch was working correctly.

3) Is the bottm clean? That for sure will do it but that is just way too obvious, right?

4) Have you or the people you socialize with gained weight over the winter?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Registered

Once our little SBC powered Baja 196 Sunsport was losing speed little by little and we were scratching our heads. It was summer and we finally just decided the warmer humid air is just killing the power. Finally one day the motor just quit while running WOT. Got a short tow to the dock and started checking things out and found the distributor gear was worn paper thin and finally failed completely. As the gear wore the timing became extremely retarded. We marked the distributor and intake manifold and it never moved, so we never checked it. Put the new gear on and the speed and power returned!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Craig, why did the distributor gear fail? Was it just a brass gear?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Registered

Dan,
No clue why the gear failed. At the time the motor had a flat tappet solid lifter cam. When we rebuilt the motor the cam gear looked fine. With the flat tappet cam we ran a steel gear. We replaced the distributor gear with another steel gear and after 2 seasons of running it looked fine. Only thing we can imagine is the distributor gear that failed had some hardness issue or something similar.

Craig
Old 06-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

More Info:
Boat: Baja 29 Outlaw 2002 w/496 mag (375 h.p.)
Hours: 130
Complete Service every 30 hrs. Oil, Drive, Check fill all fluids, check Air Filters.
Water Pump pressure at 3000 rpms - 14lbs.
No signs of elavated (according to computer scanner) Oil temp, Water Temp. Furthermore - Every other warning code has come up clear, or within the specified margins.
Oil Pressure Good - Oil used is Mercury with Mercury Oil Filters

Water Conditions -
Last season the boat would run at 4850 RPMs with a Approx 1/2 tank of fuel a consistant 70 - 73 mph (Depending on chop, and wind direction, with waves or against)
This year - Same RPM, Same Fuel Load, Same water Conditions, Approx Same air temp (give or take two degrees), Same Location, Same equipment in the vessel. - 67-68.
Speeds are obtained by GPS.
Boat is stored on Trailer inside a Portable Cover-it tent.
Currently I am running a set of 25p Mirage Plus 3 blades that have been turned to a 27p cut to a 14.5 diameter. The props were finished by Mercury racing (the Late Dennis C. Himself) and were sent back to perfect their performance 3 times. When I recieved the props I gained a consistant 3.8 mph (GPS)
Props show no signs of dings or dents, nicks or scratches.
At this point I would like to gain what I have lost.
I have heard rumors that the bottom may have been affected from sitting on the trailer.
If you need more info let me know.

Last edited by Need-the-Speed; 06-10-2005 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Registered

If you are not happy with all of the abvoe check the distributor module. It will rob you of 5-8 MPH.

Last edited by expresscat39; 06-10-2005 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Why is my boat slowing down??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.