Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it?? >

How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Notices

How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Old 06-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

When I try and run my motors to flush each time in the friggen hose collapses down to a flat pancake?!?! I am very afraid to run like this. Is there any remedy that other folks have figured out?? A 'SUPER' hose or??? I bought the 'best' most expensive hose at the garden center and still sucks it dry ... HELP! TIA
Old 06-19-2005, 12:55 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Default Re: How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

you could use the garden hose and fill up a large bucket (small garbage can perhaps). run a smaller hose from yoru engine into the can (water reservoir) and kepethe supply hose running, it should suck eth water from eth can while the hose keep steh supply sufficient. Thats how i usually winterize my boat, except i kill the water supply and dump anti freeze into eth bucket when the water level get super low.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

you must have one of those super charged water pumps

im with puder try to find a large drum the out drive will fit in
those fish buckets fishermen use to sort their fish should work
nicely
Old 06-19-2005, 05:56 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe its the 5500 rpms ??????
Old 06-19-2005, 07:04 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run A Hose From 2 Seperate Hose Out Lets Into A Y And Into A 3/4 Id Full Flow Hose And You Can Run To Approx 15-1800 Rpm. If Your On A Well It will Not Work You Must Be On City Water.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:05 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on a well and have plenty of pressure, never a problem.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:48 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the bucket method, works pretty well....
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for all replies ... but I have #3s SSMs and don't pull water thru the drives
Old 06-20-2005, 06:14 AM
LFT
Registered

The real issue is your seawater pump is capable of drawing the water at a higher rate than what your well is capable of delivering. It's not about pressure it's about the volume.

Try removing the lid off of your sea strainer and put the hose into the basket let it fill up before you start the engine. This should allow you to run the motor at idle without running the pump dry.

A 5/8" water hose is only able to flow at best between 7-10 gpm (gallons per minute) and a good single stage seawater pump draws between 15-18 GPM at idle. this is why you are collapsing your hose.

Be sure to keep an eye on your exhaust water while running your engine this way to ensure that you are getting enough water through your system.

LFT (Louisiana Freight Train)
Old 06-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Registered

LFT thanks for reply I have no sea strainers and I don't use well water ... Have city piped water Volume is certainly the issue ...

Last edited by njgr8ful; 06-20-2005 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: How the heck do you run motors on hose when it sucks the hose and collapses it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.