raw water pump >

raw water pump

Notices

raw water pump

Old 06-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raw water pump

does it make a difference for the orientation of the raw water pump? the gen VI that has the fuel pump on it.

I ask this -- because of my water line routing - -it works out better that my fuel pump is rotated up to on top of the pump -- not on the side like shown in this picture.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...9+%26+BELOW%29

i'm just wondering if this will cause me any wear issues with the cam and lever operation -- or if this will hurt the fuel pump in anyway?

Mark
Old 06-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: raw water pump

I don't think it would cause a problem... as long as you are using a "marine" type mechanical fuel pump. Automotive fuel pumps are designed to drain fuel onto the ground in case the diaphram ruptures. That is why there is a vent hole in the bottom of the pump housing. If you were to rotate an automotive type pump the fuel would run into the oil pan on a car, or into the raw water pump housing on the Gen VI pump. Just make sure you have the marine style fuel pump. Any one else have an opinion? The only other problem that you might incure is an air bubble in the top of the pump because the check valves are now on the side instead of the top. I've seen fuel pumps with the check valves on the sides before and it never caused a problem.