377 owners What are you running? >

377 owners What are you running?

Notices

377 owners What are you running?

Old 04-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 377 owners What are you running?

I don't' see a lot of activity on the 377 Talons..
We just re-powered our 03 Talon for the spring and are looking for prop choices.Last fall we were running a pair of tired Kieth Eickert 850s, in fact some of her holes leaked down @ 80 percent. With 1.24 ratio dry sump #6s we ran a best of 131mph gps @ 5800rpms with 17 1/2" x 34 p 4 blade Merc cleavers.
With fresh power the previous owner claimed 135gps ever day of the week and a best of 137 with his 5 blade 33p Herrings.
We have since re powered with 565ci 1000s with the same 1.24 drive ratio.
last fall we purchased a new set of Merc 17 1/2" 35p 5 blades
,which with the tired 850s were hard to pull past 4700rpms. What are you guy's running for props, power, pitch?
Does anyone have a similar combination? We are looking to pull hard up to 6000rpms @ 135mph or so, i'm not concerned with a big Top Speed!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 377 owners What are you running?

Did you buy Shortys boat?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ThoroughHustler
Did you buy Shortys boat?

Yes, thats the boat," Scrap Attack"
Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
I don't' see a lot of activity on the 377 Talons..
We just re-powered our 03 Talon for the spring and are looking for prop choices.Last fall we were running a pair of tired Kieth Eickert 850s, in fact some of her holes leaked down @ 80 percent. With 1.24 ratio dry sump #6s we ran a best of 131mph gps @ 5800rpms with 17 1/2" x 34 p 4 blade Merc cleavers.
With fresh power the previous owner claimed 135gps ever day of the week and a best of 137 with his 5 blade 33p Herrings.
We have since re powered with 565ci 1000s with the same 1.24 drive ratio.
last fall we purchased a new set of Merc 17 1/2" 35p 5 blades
,which with the tired 850s were hard to pull past 4700rpms. What are you guy's running for props, power, pitch?
Does anyone have a similar combination? We are looking to pull hard up to 6000rpms @ 135mph or so, i'm not concerned with a big Top Speed!

I hope you mean they leaked at 20%???out of the 80% on a 100psi

I had a burned piston and a hole in the exhaust valve and it leaked at 54 % based on the air compressor at 100 psi being 100%.This was on my Chevelle SBC on NOS

When I bought my Hustler I remember Lake Cumberland they had a 377 with 575 and was told it did 125mph??They must of been streching it WildWarrior ya got any picks

Rob
Attached Thumbnails 377 owners What are you running?-pistons-spark-plugs-020.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I hope you mean they leaked at 20%???out of the 80% on a 100psi

I had a burned piston and a hole in the exhaust valve and it leaked at 54 % based on the air compressor at 100 psi being 100%.This was on my Chevelle SBC on NOS

When I bought my Hustler I remember Lake Cumberland they had a 377 with 575 and was told it did 125mph??They must of been streching it WildWarrior ya got any picks

Rob
One hole did leak at 80 percent, can you say dead hole! Our leak downs were all over the place on these engines and I do mean 80 out of 100 leaked out of one.
From the test reports I have read with two people 625hp per side in salt water they just broke the 120mph mark in an 02 Talon 377 and that was with XR Bravo drives not dry sumps.The boat rides and handles smooth and rough water great , she just needed a few hundred more ponies to comfortably run with my Skater pals on our bay. The selling point for us on my Talon vrs the 36 Skaters and Norteck Cats we ran on was the fact that you can run under 85- 90mph if you want a slow cruise" for a Cat that is". My Talon will run flat at 45mph and wont porpoise at all while the others I mentioned don't pack air until 85mph or so and gallop the entire time bellow those speeds.
Attached Thumbnails 377 owners What are you running?-pict0040.jpg   377 owners What are you running?-100-0007_img.jpg   377 owners What are you running?-100-0014_img.jpg  

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Damm was it the piston or valve?

Could ya stick your finger in it like this one
Attached Thumbnails 377 owners What are you running?-timming-006.jpg  

Old 04-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It was a lot of both,I would need an entire thread to explain. Short version.
Prior to my purchase the previous owner hired a "so called" high end engine guy, a company we all know well to make this boat more idle and dock friendly. Unfortunately they saw the open check book coming.
Rudy @ Diamond Marine Performance our engine builder uses kicker solenoids on all of his blown big hp marine 1050 dominator motors and they don't surge in gear are still easy to dock for a few thousand bucks.
This butcher/ builder removed and switched the original carbs, heads, cams and pistons,thank god he left me with Dart blocks, Carrillo rods and good crank shafts. He had these motors at all but 10 to 1 compression with 7 1/2 lbs of boost ,man I can believe they didn't blow up. Anyway the pistons/ ring gap were all wrong as well as they used different pistons in port and starboard motors.The head change was actually the only plus, the builder went from Eickerts stock Canifields to CNC ported I think there Darts that my head guy was very happy with, he said they flowed real close to my AFRs were running on our Cigarette..The push rods were totally wrong as well,they grabbed what ever they had off the shelf to build these babies.So between the seats all ponded out of the heads and the pistons slapping back and forth in their bores she didn't have to good a leak down.
We will be installing our fresh power in a few weeks, nothing the right component's and builder couldn't solve!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always liked that boat. You do some Ny RUns with that thing! That Sucks about the motors though.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ThoroughHustler
I always liked that boat. You do some Ny RUns with that thing! That Sucks about the motors though.
We where aware that the motors needed freshening prior to my purchase .As to the extent of miss matched and wrong components , we just had know idea that another builder had performed his magic to this extent. You just never know until you pull her a part.
I am lucky however, I do have two personal friends one an X Top Alcohol and fuel crew chief and the other gentleman could be, that swap ideas with the best of them. These gentleman own small independent machine shop/fabrication/Marine and race car engine facilities. . They assemble all my stuff personally and so far in 15 years my engines have made the power and have also held together incredibly well.
As to NY runs, between running my Pro Modified drag car a few times this spring and summer and hanging at my Bay retreat on all other weekends. As much as I would like to hit other areas, we will probably just stick to the Chesapeake Bay again this summer.I cant wait to run this Cat in a few weeks with fresh power!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
We where aware that the motors needed freshening prior to my purchase .As to the extent of miss matched and wrong components , we just had know idea that another builder had performed his magic to this extent. You just never know until you pull her a part.
I am lucky however, I do have two personal friends one an X Top Alcohol and fuel crew chief and the other gentleman could be, that swap ideas with the best of them. These gentleman own small independent machine shop/fabrication/Marine and race car engine facilities. . They assemble all my stuff personally and so far in 15 years my engines have made the power and have also held together incredibly well.
As to NY runs, between running my Pro Modified drag car a few times this spring and summer and hanging at my Bay retreat on all other weekends. As much as I would like to hit other areas, we will probably just stick to the Chesapeake Bay again this summer.I cant wait to run this Cat in a few weeks with fresh power!

Knowing that up front makes a differance. Sounds like ya got a good package going back together. Let us know how it does.

Rob

Quick Reply: 377 owners What are you running?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.