$2600 gimbal job?

Notices

$2600 gimbal job?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:04 AM
yss
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2600 gimbal job?

I know most of you do your own work and porbably think Im an idiot, but I can't put in a lightbulb.

I just went to the marina to pay for winter storage and to tell the guys to sumerize the boat since the weather is starting to get nice around here. The owner says "did you get the estimate we sent you in the mail over the winter?" I said "no , for what?" He says my boat needs a gimbal job and I should replace a bunch of other stuff while there "in there" to the tune of $2600.00. He gave me a long parts list and the estimate called for 9 hrs of labor for $900.00. He said some of the stuff on the list may not need to be replaced once they get in there.

Would the mechanic remove the drive to winterize the boat? On the estimate he is replacing things like trim sensors and shifter cables. Does this sound right? I just left the estimate with a much more mechanically inclined friend to look over. When I get the parts list back I'll add it to the thread.

I have spent a lot of money with this guy and I kind of feel he might be taking advantage of me - What do you guys think?

I have a 98 22 scarab with a 454 and bravo 1. The boat has about 300 hrs on it. The boat shifts perfectly smooth and I have never heard any strange sounds from back there.

Thanks
Bryan
Old 04-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: $2600 gimbal job?

I'm going to take a guess.
He says your gimbal ring has a loose upper swivel pin and the ring needs to be replaced. He's probably going to replace the upper pin, bearing, and seals. Did he say you needed a coupler too? If so, that's not a bad bad price, easily 9 hrs.
As for the other stuff, ask what's wrong with it and what will happen if you let it go and it breaks.
Gary
Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Registered

As mentioned if your gimbal ring is worn and he is charging you new OEM prices for a gimbal ring assembly plus labor $2600 isn't bad.

But you would notice a lot of slack in the assembly if this was a problem. At the back of the boat you should not be able to move the outdrive more than a 1/2" or so to either side. More than that and your gimbal ring is worn, the entire assembly rebuilt in parts from Merc would be at least $1200, maybe more. You could prolly find a takeoff or possibly fix yours.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Registered

I wish I had the job. I'd do it for way less. And maybe fix it better! But I don't think you live nearby. BBB
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Registered

These parts are a little pricy. I did mine a couple of years ago:
Gimbal Rings: $774 ea; U-Bolts $20ea; Shift Bellows $20ea; Bellows $98ea; nuts $1.70ea. These are discounted prices as well, so expect to pay higher at a marina. This did not include the side plug kit from mercruiser, which I had already previously done(not required for pulling the engine).

I would agree if you are doing this, now is the time to replace the bellows if they are the originals. Yes, it is a pain in the azz to replace the gimbal ring. I would question replacing the shift cable.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by rdoactive
I'm going to take a guess.
He says your gimbal ring has a loose upper swivel pin and the ring needs to be replaced. He's probably going to replace the upper pin, bearing, and seals. Did he say you needed a coupler too? If so, that's not a bad bad price, easily 9 hrs.
As for the other stuff, ask what's wrong with it and what will happen if you let it go and it breaks.
Gary

Ditto.. Jamie

Btw.. Is he doing the boots/bellows too??? Just curious. If he is, its cheap.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

I think I would find someone knowledgeable who isn't interested in selling the work to check it out for excessive play. (up/down, left/right, in/out) The thing that makes me kinda suspicious is his telling you that you are going to need the trim senders and shift cables if everything worked OK when it went into storage. It's not a bad price to replace the gimble ring and all the related parts, but do you really need it? --- Jer
Old 04-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

I hope no one takes offense from me posting this.. I am a neutral part & dont really stand to profit 1 penny from this. I am Also prof. marine shop.

It is possible that if the boat is older even though the sending units are currently working as is the shift cable there is the age to consider. If it was more than a couple years old and it was at my shop I would probably recommend them as well.. Why you may ask.. here goes.. Frequently the boots and senders with age & use will work, however upon going to remove them if wires are on the brittle side or the boots are getting dry will break or be compromised. The shift cable if it has any corrosion stretching or wear may work now but could be problematic if adjustments are required upon reassembly. It would only make sense that for the small part & labor difference to add these few things that it should be considered. If you have that guy takes it apart and then finds the stuff to be definitivley bad or problematic upon reinstallation he and his client may have hard feeling & problems.

I am not Vouching for the other shop. It is rather merely my humble professional opinion that the shop owner did nothing wrong when telling him the higher of the options.. He is covering his bases & seems to be being very upfront about what will many times may occur..

I hope I was able to help.. Best of luck to you in what ever you decide to do.. Jamie / Lakeside

Last edited by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS; 04-15-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered

if you want email me a copy and Ill let you know if its out of line

Joe
Old 04-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Donzi33, that doesn't sound too out of line. In fact, a little cheap. Concidering the age of the boat and rigging he probably doesn't want to touch the drive without replacing the "other" stuff. If he services the drive and your trim sensors stop working or a shift cable starts to get a little sticky he won't want to get blamed for damaging it. It sounds like he's being profesional and laying it on the line. Some guys will tell you how cheap the job is and wait untill it's torn down to break the bad news of the real price.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: $2600 gimbal job?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.