Oil pressure gremlin

Notices

Oil pressure gremlin

Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gremlin

hey guys,
i just got my first boat (last fall - hasnt been in the water yet) and am trying to get all the gremlins out of it before the launch on Mothers Day Weekend.
I have factory Medallion gauges in the boat ('74 Riedel 19.5') and they all work except for the oil pressure gauge. the gauge appears to be functional as it goes full scale when i ground the lead. I dont know if the sending unit is original, but it does work (it operates at 170 ohms at 30 psi. the resistance drops when the engine speed increases). the gauge does not move at all when it is connected to the sending unit. could it be the wrong range sending unit?
any ideas would be appreciated
thanks
brian
Old 05-04-2006, 10:50 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil pressure gremlin

Originally Posted by millertyme
hey guys,
i just got my first boat (last fall - hasnt been in the water yet) and am trying to get all the gremlins out of it before the launch on Mothers Day Weekend.
I have factory Medallion gauges in the boat ('74 Riedel 19.5') and they all work except for the oil pressure gauge. the gauge appears to be functional as it goes full scale when i ground the lead. I dont know if the sending unit is original, but it does work (it operates at 170 ohms at 30 psi. the resistance drops when the engine speed increases). the gauge does not move at all when it is connected to the sending unit. could it be the wrong range sending unit?
any ideas would be appreciated
thanks
brian
could be automotive unit, which wont work, or it could be a 0-60 sender where a 0-80 is required.

If the gauge is going full scale, and you have verified oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, get a suitable, mercruiser/OMC/Volvo sender. you should be good to go.