Turbolator Plate >

Turbolator Plate

Notices

Turbolator Plate

Old 05-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbolator Plate

I am making some changes to my exhaust. Do I take the turbolator plate out? The motors are Mag HOs. I do not idle long times and boat in inland lakes. My warranty has expired.

I know this has been discussed before but last night when I had the exhaust all apart I was thinking.........that Merc Engineer is smarter than me......

Thanks in advance
Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbolator Plate

Originally Posted by Dave98
.........that Merc Engineer is smarter than me......

Thanks in advance
I hear ya. I know what people here think they are for but I'm not convinced. I took them out anyway last weekend. Definitely changed the sound but since I can't really open up the engine without serious chine walking I can't tell if there was any real change in perfomance.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main purpose, I understand is to catch condensation from inside the pipes. Not so much a factor in stopping reversion at idle.

I wonder if it would help to drain the water out of your pipes if you are going to leave it sit for a few days. All it would take is a drain valve in the hose going from the manifold to the riser.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting Subject I Too Have Gill Manifolds, But My Pipes Dont Mix Water Till The Very End...those Plates From Mercury With The Gaskets Were A Whooping 230 Bucks Dont Tell Me I Robbed Hoarsepower And Wasted Money...............
Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered

The condensation forms inside the risers as a result of the temperature difference. It happens in all jacketed risers. Reversion has nothing to do with it. Draining the water jacket would have little ot no effect. The standard gil plate is large enough for most engines. I understand the 496 is another matter altogether and may be too small. I am keeping mine to keep my valves seats in good shape and hopefully prevent any rusting caused by a drop of water running down from the top of the riser.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I'm yanking them, what the heck. If it only makes it louder all the better. One inch extra diameter per pipe in trade for a drop or two of water. There are more common things done to boat motors daily with far more consequences than a drip plate removal.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

We removed the "turbolators" on our 496 HOīs last season (Baja 272 and 25 Outlaw). No, it didnīt even bring 50 revs or a 1/2 mile! Absolutely nothing. If you look at a section through the pipes you will see that the inner diameter of the elbows is only fractionally larger than the hole in the plate. Donīt bother!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

RECKLESS, you better get on it, your still in the driveway! It was 82 degrees today.
Louder? Lets see, a new stereo sub & amp to hear tunes on plane, so lets make the engines louder....
- Just yanking your chain bro..
See ya soon.
And don't forget, I am off all next week, my ride, if you have some free time.
Bryan
Old 05-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
If you look at a section through the pipes you will see that the inner diameter of the elbows is only fractionally larger than the hole in the plate. Donīt bother!
Not mine. It was a good inch wider than the plate the whole lenghth of the riser.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

all the better i am just pissed i spent all that money on them,,,,,thanks guys i will leave them in my boat is to loud as it is............
Attached Thumbnails Turbolator Plate-magnum-013.jpg  

Quick Reply: Turbolator Plate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.