What broke in my outdrive?

Notices

What broke in my outdrive?

Old 05-25-2006, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What broke in my outdrive?

Single 502 w/ bravo 1 in 27 fountain

Getting on plane yesterday, i heard a clunk and a whirring noise, and the boat wasn't going forward anymore. Lost forward and reverse.

What's the most common thing to let loose in these things? Do i start with the top half or the bottom half?

I have a clymers manual. anything specific i need to know about tearing this sum***** apart?

If i pay someone to fix it, how much can i expect to pay?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: What broke in my outdrive?

Check cable adjustment first and then work from there. Hopefully it is something that simple.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Registered

I unhooked the cable where it attaches to the motor and tried shoving it into gear. I didn't get anything.

Is there something on the other end that can cause it to pop out of gear like that?

I just had the cable replaced... (along with the bellows and u-joints)
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Vertical clutch shaft.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered

could be any number of things from the pinion shaft to the input gear to a problem in the lower,

Get someone who knows bravos and has the correct tools to tear it down if not your just asking for trouble,

You would be suprised how many merc, volvo ,omc drives I get handed to me in pieces/boxes because people thought they could do it them self, ussually half the parts are broken

oh and depending what it is plan on about 1500- 2500, the upper gear set alone is about 850.00 just for the gear set,

if its less youll feel better

Last edited by GOODT; 05-25-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 AM
Registered

Could it be the coupler? Simple part, but pain in the rear to replace. Have to remove the engine to get to it. Usually caused by misaligned drive and motor or no grease on the spline. I paid a little over $800 to get my last one replaced.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbum
Could it be the coupler? Simple part, but pain in the rear to replace. Have to remove the engine to get to it. Usually caused by misaligned drive and motor or no grease on the spline. I paid a little over $800 to get my last one replaced.

get one of them merc engine Coupler removers ... pulls it out thru the gimbel bearing ......

800.00 dont sound to bad if it included the coupler .... m
Old 05-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

If it's the coupler it should be free. And i suppose it could be the coupler.

Same shop did the motor last year and the u-joints and bellows this year. If that ****'s out of alignment, it's on them.

My plan is to pull the drive, pull off the top cap, and possibly separate the upper from the lower. I should be able to narrow it down that way. I don't have any special tools to yank the rest of it apart.

I called the shop i've used, they said they can't touch it for 2 weeks. Wrong time of year to break **** in Michigan.

With this kind of power (stock carb'd 502 mag), and a boat that requires a solid 15 seconds of WOT just to get on plane when loaded, how long can i reasonable expect an outdrive to last?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
With this kind of power (stock carb'd 502 mag), and a boat that requires a solid 15 seconds of WOT just to get on plane when loaded, how long can i reasonable expect an outdrive to last?

thats Scary ....
Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Merc engine coupler removers through the gimble bearing? Seriously? Sounds like that joke about a gyno going to auto mechanics school and getting an A++, for rebuilding an engine through the tailpipes.

$800 was the marine mechanics off hours, cash only, work in the garage behind his house price.

Quick Reply: What broke in my outdrive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.