Stereo freaks needed........... >

Stereo freaks needed...........

Notices

Stereo freaks needed...........

Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo freaks needed...........

I am trying to figure out a way I could build a box under the rear bench seat in my 29' World Class. I have 2 12" Xplod in right now, but they are running free air. I want to build a box around them, but there is a raised soffit area (possibly fuel lines or fuel overflow) which takes up a lot of space behind one of the 12's. Any ideas of what I can do?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stereo freaks needed...........

Bolts, I am no expert, but I do know that if the box isn't the designed to the speaker, you can totally change the sound. It sounds like you are not getting the sound out of them that you want.

My first question would be do you have enough amp to drive them. If they are not getting enough power, they won't perform, actually sound tinny. For example, a 200 watt amp serving 6 speakers is only 50 watts per. If your speakers are rated for say 150, you aint getting it. You want to make sure that each speaker is getting at least 50% of it's load rating. Also, what guage wire are you running to them? Are you using regular speaker wire or shielded wire? Again, the signal may not get there.

And are you running the speakers in daisy chain from another speaker, or direct to the amp? If your running daisy chain, you probably not getting any sound from that also.

Last, what type of Reciever/Amp. I know Bose Amps like Bose Speakers, and usually only Bose speakers.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered

And becareful to insure that the power you are running to the speakers is withing 40-70% range of their Reccomended MAX RMS load (RMS is much different then MAX). You may want to consider a 2fa Cap with two 12" (Assuming your gonna run 150-250W RMS to each)
Old 06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Registered

Id actualy pass on the caps & buy very good batteries & turn up the voltage on the alternator .The caps are often used for the wrong purpose while they do boost voltage they only do it for a demanding situation like a heavy bass note & they bleed off fairly rapidly .Im running 2 12" ,2 10", 6 8"& 8 5 &1/4" speakers with 4 amps & I use hawker batteries 4 925. Believe me this system ROCKS
Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Registered

I have 1600 watts going between 4 6x9's and the two 12"s. My probelm is with the box. I can't figure out a good enough way to make a box with that raised soffit area blocking me.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered

any pics of set ups under the rear seats?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered

the 6x9 require approx 1/4 cu.ft per speaker sealed & the 12" is about 1cu. ft sealed & 1 1/2 ported min 2" x 6" port.If they are decent speakers & they are new the install info would be good to read.I would also think about buying another amp to run the 6x9s with then wire up the 12" in mono .The sub amp needs to be 2 ohm stable if your really gonna jam .
Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered

Try stuffing the sub box with poly-fill. If your box volume is less then the driver requires this will help alot.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not be running those Sonys free air if I remember right. Fosgate, Kicker and JL make free-air ready speakers. If you want to get serious, take out the bench seat as is and replace with one built as a speaker cabinet that doubles as a bench seat. That will cost some money but can be done. A program like Winspeakers will aid in the design effort. Its libraries contain a lot of info such as Thiele/Small parameters. I suggest a sealed setup and not using Sony speakers, there are better ones out there, but whatever you use, make sure they have enough power, at least their RMS rating. It's ok to overpower a bit if not desired. Make sure you got enough batteries for the job and about 1 Farad of Capacitors for every 1000 watts used. This of course will weigh the boat down. I'm a Sound Engineer for a living so I hate free-air but I will do that in my Fountain because I hate losing speed more. When I finally get around to it, I'm going to stuff (4) 10" Fosgate Marine subs (free air) in my bench seat. They are rated at 200 watts RMS and 400 peak. I'm going to throw at least 1200 watts to them, that should insure good, clean sound and they won't blow, underpowering speakers can hurt them. Let me know if you need anymore help, am I a stereo freak? Maybe.....But right now I'm at the controls of 80,000 watts, so I definitely am a boom boom freak .............Good Luck!!!