Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replaced Water Separator and lost PSI >

Replaced Water Separator and lost PSI

Notices

Replaced Water Separator and lost PSI

Old 06-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Replaced Water Separator and lost PSI

Before going boating yesterday I replaced the water separator. Started right up but I could not see any gas in my clear filter and no pressure. I thought the separator was filling with gas and wait. Pressure went up to 7PSI but was there was very little gas visible in my clear filter. You take it up to 2,000 RPMs and pressure drops to zero. After a few minutes 7 PSI and little gas. I put the old separator back on filled it with gas and same thing. While having a beer on the dock I though bleed the air out of the line by unhooking it before going into the carb and no change. Couple more beers on the dock and noticed the vent to line from the fuel pump was pumping air no gas. I always thought there should be nothing in this line period unless the diaphragm breaks? So after more beer I took the fuel pump off and apart. Diaphragm was fine. For 20 years I have just changed the separator and worked fine until I changed it again. Any ideas boys.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 06-04-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:17 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replaced Water Separator and lost PSI

Sounds like you have a pretty ond setup, the clear bowl was there to alert you to a leaking fuel pump and should stay dry until you have a problem. The vent hose as you call it is to dump any raw gas into the carb if the upper diapham fails it pulses air and also should stay dry. It sounds more like it is running out of fuel, I have a hunch your problem is supply possibly plugged pickup or anti syphon valve ot if the rubber fuel hose is old they tend to colapse and cut off the fuel.

Phil

Last edited by MOP; 06-04-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Registered

Anyone else? There is no clear bowl, it is a see through filter before the carb. I must be sucking air. I quess my question is, if there is no visable holes in the diapham should there be any air moving in the vent hose. Logic would tell me yes it needs air when the diapham moves up and down. If you get a pin hole leak it would push the gas up to the carb?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:05 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not pull the fuel before the filter and stick in a container of gas, if it works then it is a tank problem. I thought you had the old style gas bowl that use to be on the side of the fuel pumps
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it worked before you changed the seperator, the problem probably is with the seperator or something it seals on.Take the fuel seperator off again and check that you do not have two gaskets on it. Sometimes the old one sticks to the housing and prevents a good seal.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:59 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

That vent fitting must be connected to a non-vacuum source on the carb or arrestor.

If it get's connected to a vaccum source on carb then the vacuum will negate the fuel psi spring and thus cause little to no psi.

It happens..........a lot.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stipid Question but Im not there so I have to ask.........Are you sure you got the old o ring that was on the filter ?????

It sounds like you are sucking air somewhere and that would be the logical thing there really isnt too much that can go wrong and since there is vacum in the sep

me bad should of read more already asked, I think hes on the right track though ( great minds think alike).......

Last edited by GOODT; 06-05-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Registered

Yes I always check the o rings. I learned the hard way on an oil filter when I was young. Froze the engine up
I am putting on a new pump. I think I should have ran it longer to give the new one a chance to fill. It has to be sucking air or not full.