HP500 questions-please help! >

HP500 questions-please help!

Notices

HP500 questions-please help!

Old 06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP500 questions-please help!

I rode on a Formula 382 with HP500's this weekend. WOW! Very impressive. The boat ran right up to 5100 RPM, noooo problem. However, aside from the swim ladder making horiffic rattling noises at low speeds, the boat sounded mean. Once I quieted the swim ladder, I did notice another noise that sounded like a slight rattle from the "Silent Thunder" platform out the back on the starboard side. At first, I thought it might me a lifter(s) or a valve(s), but if you lifted the engine hatch, that same noise was NOT detected. The noise appears intermittently and around 1000-1400 RPM. Apparently, the starboard motor has been "gone thru" and also has had the lifters replaced and re-adjusted (I guess because one lifter failed after the rebuild, so they just put a whole new set in). Has anyone else experienced this? Couild it be a bad "flapper" in the "Silent Thunder" exhaust platform?

Last, I noticed a little smoke at startup both engines. It didn't seem to smell like oil. But, we had a 45 min+ ride at 1000 RPM to get back to the marina. Do the 500's tend to "load-up" and run a little rich when subjected to long periods of idle speed? Or could it be a carb adjustment? Or worse yet, valve seals...but like I said, it didn't smell like oil.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the boat seemed to have a cammed sound to it at idle. I surely didn't sound anything like my 454 mag!