Best Flame Arrestor Flow ??? >

Best Flame Arrestor Flow ???

Notices

Best Flame Arrestor Flow ???

Old 06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Flame Arrestor Flow ???

I have done a search for what I am seeking and only find folks horse trading flame arrestors. Does anybody have a strong recommendation to a style of flame arrestor for improvement over stock for carb motor? I am running a Vortec 350 with largest Crane marine hyd roller cam, aluminum GLM exhaust manifolds, modified Vortec heads, Performer Air Gap RPM manifold, full Comp Cams steel roller rockers, Mallory magnetic ignition and electric fuel pump, and Edelbrock 750 carb, and 4" exhaust diverter valves. Engine runs great, with more than enough power for my 17' Formula, but I am wondering if I am restricting anything by using the stock flamer arrstor from a 454 carb motor (it is much taller than the stock 350 style, you know both gold finned styles made by Bendix). Is K&N better, is SS mesh better? Any proof such as increased RPM or vacuum measurement above the choke horn? Thanks for your input. Instead of typing, if you can refer me to an informative link I'd be happy to read it thanks.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Default Re: Best Flame Arrestor Flow ???

Personally I've never noticed any improvements from a K&N filter on a boat in the past. I HAVE just a tad, pulling the boat uphill in my truck. I've heard the SS mesh on the 496's are just as good as the K&N air flow-wise, basically rendering the K&N cosmetic dressing the ones for 496's are cheap. I would think even if there was an improvement of some sort, you'd play heck trying to prove it in the numbers definitively. Just my $0.02 cents.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Registered

I don't think there is much if any difference between the two types. I just purchased a couple and went with the ones that I thought looked the best. I have had both k&n and wire mesh in the past.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Rumor has it that the Merc HP 500 style are some of the best flowing out there. Not quite as cool looking as some of the billet oval styles but work real well. Check the swap shop here I think there are some up for sale.