Drive problems >

Drive problems

Notices

Drive problems

Old 06-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive problems

Was out on the boat today and had a problem. idled out of a no wake area hit the gas and started to get on plane then it sound like I blew the prop out. No real noise nothing. hit the gas again motor would just rev boat would move but still just like slipping transmission . Now at idle it will push the boat in forward and reverse, but give it gas and its like a slipping auto trans. I pulled the drive tonight and it turns fine in reverse and forward. Input shaft looks good and the coupler looks ok. any Ideas?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

Default Re: Drive problems

You didn't say what drive you have, but assuming a Bravo, you can't really inspect the rubber part of the coupler by looking into where the drive plugs in. You will only know if the splines are gone. Also, if you are running an earlier "rubber hub" style prop, the problem could be there. --- Jer
Old 06-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Registered

Sorry, My boat is a 502 with a 1990 Bravo 1, sorry missed that. I have a sold hub prop. If the coupler runner hub was shot wouldn't there not be rubber every where?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:42 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you smell anything? Usualy the hubs smell of rubber burning, many times there is little or no debris. Get some white out put a dab in the input shaft and on the coupler start it put it in gear give it some throttle after you shut it down and see if the marks still match up. That will tell you if the hub is slipping, if the marks stay aligned the problem is in the drive.

Phil
Old 06-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

Don't Remember a smell. I was think the same thing on marking the shaft and the hub. I hope this is the problem. Easier fix than an outdrive, but I am an hour from the water. I just wish something stood out as the problem.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by Mike Paula; 06-18-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Registered

Have you changed props lately. My checkmate with the bravo will cavitate if I try to plane going with the waves and not against them if the lake is ruff. Just an idea.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Registered

My guess would be check the engine coupler first then the clutch in the drive??????????.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the drive oil. Do you have metal particles in it?
Old 06-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered

REBEL4845, that what I thought happen first it i hit a shallow spot it will it will blow the prop out. the second time I hit the throttle it would not even try to move the boat anything above idle.

Pulled the drive check prop and input shaft movement in forward and reverse all seemed ok. No metal at all in the fluid.

I am convinced it is the Coupler. I am going to the lake and marking the input shaft and the coupler and see what happens. Also marked the Prop shaft and the prop. It is a soild hub prop but??....

I talked to Mr Gagets last night. Does not seem to be a symptom of a bad drive ( fingers crossed)
Old 06-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Registered

Default Ok so I'm an Idiot

Well So here I go ride to the lake with my marked Coupler and Shaft and marked Prop and Prop shaft. Still attached to the trailer hit it in Revers then shut it down. Coupler and Shaft still matched up. Pull it out and the prop is spun on the prop shaft!!?? We guess what it is a rubber hubbed prop throw the new prop on there took a spin around the lake

Thanks for your time Mr Gagets. And everyones input!

Quick Reply: Drive problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.