Motor breaks up at WOT

Notices

Motor breaks up at WOT

Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor breaks up at WOT

The Motor is a 454 with a 177 blower and intercooler. It runs fine up to 4800 rpm. After that it will fall flat for a second and then catch up to its self but it will not sound right. The wine in the blower dose not sound smooth like it should. It will rev up to 5100 rpm and build 6 psi of boost. but it feels and sounds like it is starving for fuel or spark.

Today I hit the throttle harder than normal to get on plane and it did the same thing as it dose at WOT. If I pulled back a bit it was fine.

fuel pressure is 8 psi . I have two gauges and they both say the same thing. Pressure is read between the regulator and the carb.

timing is at 28 degrees. it was 30 degrees and it did the same thing.

I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it out. everything is clean and the float levels are properly adjusted. needle and seats are free and clear. we also changed the power valve.

All the grounds are tied to one single location and connector to the negative battery cable on the block.

I purged all the gas out the tank and ran fresh fule.

The only thing I can think of is to change the coil & new cap and rotor. I was also thinking of changing the ignition module and the distributor pickup.

I also am going to pressure test the intercooler for a leak.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Hot Boat; 06-20-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Re: Motor breaks up at WOT

I just had an issue with mine like this,I have a small block N/A but in my case it was too much timing up top,drop a few degrees just to see,try not to melt nothing.
Did you ever run it and check plugs right away,run it and come off plane and shut it off,you can get a pretty accurate plug reading at wot this way.
seems like it is running out of fuel,what are you running for fuel pump or pumps?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Pump is a holley black.

I went to get a plug reading tonight but some one took the 5/8 socket out of my tool set and didnt put it back. If the coil and cap and rotor dont work Ill try it next time.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hot Boat
Pump is a holley black.

I went to get a plug reading tonight but some one took the 5/8 socket out of my tool set and didnt put it back. If the coil and cap and rotor dont work Ill try it next time.
pump should be fine,from my experience,if the cap and rotor were that bad it would not idle well either,but hey crazier things have happend!! a plug reading is going to tell you what is going on there.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Registered

The Motor is a 454 with a 177 blower and intercooler. It runs fine up to 4800 rpm. After that it will fall flat for a second and then catch up to its self but it will not sound right. The wine in the blower dose not sound smooth like it should. It will rev up to 5100 rpm and build 6 psi of boost. but it feels and sounds like it is starving for fuel or spark.

Today I hit the throttle harder than normal to get on plane and it did the same thing as it dose at WOT. If I pulled back a bit it was fine.

fuel pressure is 8 psi . I have two gauges and they both say the same thing. Pressure is read between the regulator and the carb.

I pulled the carb apart and cleaned it out. everything is clean and the float levels are properly adjusted. needle and seats are free and clear. we also changed the power valve.

All the grounds are tied to one single location and connector to the negative battery cable on the block.

The only thing I can think of is to change the coil & new cap and rotor. I was also thinking of changing the ignition module and the distributor pickup.

Install New Spark Plugs,Gap @ .015 Try That (It Will Illuminate
Ignition Problem. Probably Need M.S.D Ps What Size Carb Good Luck DiamondP 302-367-4926 Rudy
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DIAMONDP
Install New Spark Plugs,Gap @ .015 Try That (It Will Illuminate
Ignition Problem. Probably Need M.S.D Ps What Size Carb Good Luck DiamondP 302-367-4926 Rudy
duh... never thought he might be blowing the plugs out!! I had that poroblem with a turbo Mustang I built!!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered

Rudy Diamondp 302-367 4962 Sorry Gave you wrong # on First Reply
Old 06-21-2006, 12:37 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wouldn't the smaller plug gap make it easier on the ignition?Bigger gap make a bigger spark and more load on ignition.

I have allways ran more timming on my blower motors,never had a prob,but I new the tune up was good.Also depends how good the combustion chamber is I guess.

What plugs and heat range ya running ,How do they look???

Sounds lean to me,Just guessing

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Wouldn't the smaller plug gap make it easier on the ignition?Bigger gap make a bigger spark and more load on ignition.

I have allways ran more timming on my blower motors,never had a prob,but I new the tune up was good.Also depends how good the combustion chamber is I guess.

What plugs and heat range ya running ,How do they look???

Sounds lean to me,Just guessing
prob would be easier on the ignition,I do know that without a small gap on blowers you can blow out the spark.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Proper plug readings would be WOT and pull the Lanyards ....

Quick Reply: Motor breaks up at WOT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.