still overheating >

still overheating

Notices

still overheating

Old 07-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still overheating

Well i think i've narrowed it down to a block full of sand. So far i've replaced impeller, which was fine. I replaced thethermostat and i flushed all the hoses including the oil cooler. I pulled the thermostat out and the boat still heated up to 180 running on the hose. I do have water comming out of the pipes so im getting some water thru the engine. The boat has transom water pick up with sea strainers and everything is clean. I pulled 3 of the drain plugs in the block and water only came out of one. Im thinking its plugged with sand due to the fact i spent some time on a sand bar. I pulled the front right drain plug and a little oil came out. What is this plug for? Its right near the front edge of the block. So how do i get the sand out? I ran the boat on the hose with the drain plugs out and water only came out of the one. I was thinking of blasting some air in the plug holes to loosen any sand. Anyone got a better method? thanks Almost forgot motors are 95, hp500's
Old 07-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Registered

Default Re: still overheating

Originally Posted by Dono
Well i think i've narrowed it down to a block full of sand. So far i've replaced impeller, which was fine. I replaced thethermostat and i flushed all the hoses including the oil cooler. I pulled the thermostat out and the boat still heated up to 180 running on the hose. I do have water comming out of the pipes so im getting some water thru the engine. The boat has transom water pick up with sea strainers and everything is clean. I pulled 3 of the drain plugs in the block and water only came out of one. Im thinking its plugged with sand due to the fact i spent some time on a sand bar. I pulled the front right drain plug and a little oil came out. What is this plug for? Its right near the front edge of the block. So how do i get the sand out? I ran the boat on the hose with the drain plugs out and water only came out of the one. I was thinking of blasting some air in the plug holes to loosen any sand. Anyone got a better method? thanks Almost forgot motors are 95, hp500's

WOW - I stopped at a neighbors house yesterday, mostly to introduce myself, he has a 22' baja hammer so I figured we could talk boats, and he told me this EXACT same story..... amazingly small world... it was an almost exact same story, drifted into sandbar with motor running and sucked all kinds of stuff into system.

Anyway, he went through EVERYTHING, then finally got super serious about flushing the BLOCK, when he did it flushed out a coffee can full of sand and gunk.

Now his boat runs COLD, 105 degrees, there is an active post here talking about that I put up yesterday.

his e-mail is [email protected], send him a note, he seems to be a good boy...
Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost every year when I pulled the drain plugs on the side of the block I had to jab a tiny screw driver in it to get the crap out and let the water flow. Sounds like Deans neighbor found the solution, let us know what he said. good luck
Old 07-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Registered

Thanks Dean, I sent him an email. Does anyone else have a good method of flushing the engine?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:55 AM
Registered

ttt. anyone, im hoping to go out today. thanks
Old 07-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

All you need to do is stick a clothes hanger in the block holes and probe around.Be sure to push the hanger far enough up in the block to flush ALL the slit out.Dont be worried about sticking the hanger too far into the block....there's nothing that can get damaged.After the drain plugs are clear of debris run the motor on the hose with the plugs out.Your cooling problems should be solved.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Registered

Check on the intakeside of the oil cooler. There is a screen there and the sand will clog the flow. Undo the hose and flus back from the T-stat

I bet you have a Bravo One with a Low Water Pick-up. I just have to think shallow and I clog.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Dono
I plugged my 1999 HP500EFI full of mud once. It was a mess. I had to pull all of the drain plugs, and the thermostat housing off. You could spoon the mud out of the thermostat housing. We were on the water, and were able to flush it by pouring water down the thermostat housing, and we were able to blow into the thermostat housing to loosen things. It ran fine afterwards. I think you have the right idea. They make a tool that hooks an air compressor to a cone shaped rubber water hose fitting. There was even a thread about someone who made their own. I have no idea what to search on though. Just stick this pressurized water down your thermostat housing, and go slow. With loosening the crap in the drain holes, and adding water to the top, you should get it flowing.

If that fails; perhaps Draino? (just kidding)
Old 07-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. I didn't get to work on it yesterday, had to go help a buddy who forgot to repack his wheel bearings and smoked two of them on the way home from his cottage.